The Television Academy announced today the date and network for the 2018 Emmy® telecast. NBC will air the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards on Monday, September 17, live coast to coast starting at 8pm ET/5pm PT. The ceremony will be broadcast from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. An Emmy host remains to be announced.
In addition to the broadcast date, the Television Academy also announced a few minor rule changes. They actually increased the number of categories rather than attempt to streamline the often unwieldy set of categories that require two addition nights to award. Most high profile is the realignment of the Outstanding Variety Special and Special Class categories. These categories were dumped in favor of two variety special categories: one celebrating live events and one for pre-recorded events.
Additional category changes include the following:
Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie is now split into two categories:
- Outstanding Period Costumes
- Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes
Outstanding Directing for Nonfiction Programming is now split into two categories:
- Outstanding Directing for a Documentary/Nonfiction Program
- Outstanding Directing for a Reality Program
Outstanding Sound Editing for a Series (Drama or Comedy) is now split into two categories:
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Half-Hour Series (Comedy, Drama or Animation)
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a One-Hour Series