Team ADTV announces their individual favorite television shows of 2018 over the next few days. Editor Jazz Tangcay is first up.
10. Star Trek Discovery: Stumbled on this as I had to interview the VFX team. Holy moly! Michelle Yeoh kicks Lucius Malfoy’s ass – literally kicks him – and that alone made the series binge worthy. The show started off slowly but once it takes off, it really flies. Jason Issacs (aka Lucius Malfoy) plays Captain Gabriel Lorca and has a great character arc.
9. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – Glorious and marvelous. Enough said.
8. American Horror Story: Apocalypse – The AHS crossover and Cody Fern made this a fine series this season. Enough to make you want to binge the entire AHS series to connect all the dots. All Hail Ryan Murphy and the return of Jessica Lange’s Constance Langdon for “You’re in my fucking house.”
7. The Little Drummer Girl – Stunning series. Park Chan-wook directs. Michael Shannon is an intelligence officer infiltrating a terrorist cell. Based on John Le Carre’s novel, it doesn’t get better than that, and the production design is a stunner.
6. American Crime Story: Versace – Another Ryan Murphy show makes it into my top ten of 2018. This focuses on Versace’s killer Andrew Cunanan. Darren Criss is incredible, but Judith Light’s cameo is a standout.
5. Escape At Dannemora – Stumbled on this greatness by accident. This story is based on the 2015 prison break. Patricia Arquette is coming for all the awards in 2019.
4. Sharp Objects: Amy Adams in a Gillian Flynn-penned series. An incredible performance from Adams.
3. Patrick Melrose – Benedict Cumberbatch’s darkest role to date as in a stellar performance. Drugs and drink and a plunge into addiction.
2. Killing Eve – Sandra Oh finally got a chance to shine in this BBC series. Another best of the year shows. This cat and mouse thriller is riveting.
1. Succession – Adam Mackay’s HBO series is the must-watch, must-binge show of the year. Greed, power, money, and a terrific cast.