"Cuba's first horror film," Juan of the Dead

I’ll put “Cuba’s first horror film” in quotes because that’s how it’s being sold. I find the claim hard to believe — but when I tried to find another Cuban horror film, I stumbled across this essay:

The Cuban horror film does not exist because it has been explicitly prohibited by the government. Genre films, which would include not only horror but also science fiction and fantasy, have been deemed as detrimental to the political leanings and the social program of the Cuban government. In fact, ICAIC would not consider it inappropriate to label these forms of mass entertainments as counter-revolutionary or even degenerate art…

Furthermore, since horror is essentially, at its core, the relation between one and a perilous and often transmogrified other, the only other that is deemed worthy of discussion in Cuba is the capitalist imperialism of the United States. The yanquís, the Castro government’s demonic appellation for the inhabitants of the country ninety miles west of Cuba, are the lone evil in the Cuban psyche. Since billboards about them are already everywhere on the island, making a film about their sinister intentions seems an utterly redundant act.

So there’s some sociological background for anyone who thinks this trailer isn’t worthy of attention on the merits of its awesomeness alone.

1. Tye-Grr 4 years ago

Hahahahahaha… This actually looks pretty awesome! I’ll be checking it out.

2. Tye-Grr 4 years ago

Hahahahahaha… This actually looks pretty awesome! I’ll be checking it out.

3. Jesus Alonso 4 years ago

Well, technically the animated movie “Vampiros in La Habana” is a comedy/horror film. This looks funny – not great, thought. A Cuban version of “Shaun of the Dead”, not to say, literally, a rip-off.

4. Jesus Alonso 4 years ago

5. GL 4 years ago

Lol definitely a rip off, but hey, it’s not meant to be serious, and give this oppressed people a chance lol…this looks cute!

6. GL 4 years ago

7. GV 4 years ago

Great concept in sooo many levels. I hate to make a social/political connection…but Oh!- what temptation! The setting is awesome, the quasi-zombie cubans that are already there after 50 years of a brutal dictatorship…if a zombie apocalypse could happen anywhere , it easily could be in the streets of Havana. As a horror genre fan… definitely watching it!

8. GV 4 years ago

9. Armando 4 years ago

They’ve been living in a horror film for the last 50 years.

10. Armando 4 years ago

They’ve been living in a horror film for the last 50 years.

11. Maxin 4 years ago

I find the zombie-like automatic responses of people who probably know very little about Cuba deeply ironic.

12. Maxin 4 years ago

13. Armando 4 years ago

I find the opinion of people that never been to Cuba or live in (soon-to-be-like Cuba) Venezuela deeply ironic.

14. Armando 4 years ago

15. Joao Mattos 4 years ago

Ryan,

Allow me to show other Cuban horror film and a diretor who works in the genre. These two links are part of the coverage that my friend Mário Abbade, editor in-chief of the brazilian web site “Almanaque Virtual” did about the Havana Film Festival of 2010. (I am a collaborator of the site, but right now I’m taking a little break).

Of course you won’t be able to read it, because the articles were written in portuguese, but as a introduction, I guess they’re useful

16. Joao Mattos 4 years ago

Ryan,

17. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

Thanks, Joao! Are there any outstanding titles in particular?

18. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

Thanks, Joao! Are there any outstanding titles in particular?

19. Alex 4 years ago

My whole family is from Cuba and … yeah, it’s pretty horrific over there, at least, in comparison to the U.S. …

That being said, this looks like a pretty funny movie…even if it is ripping off Shaun of the dead

20. Alex 4 years ago

21. Joao Mattos 4 years ago

Ryan,

It seems that Jorge Molina several horror shorts prior to this feature (“Molina’s Ferozz”), full of sex on it (as “Ferozz”) are a huge underground hit in Cuba, and he is not well treated by ICAIC (according to Wikipedia in Spanish). The author of the review and the interview that I exposed to you, Abbade, right now is on vacation in Los Angeles. I will send a message to him asking if he has any contact that can answer where to find these shorts. Molina also worked as an actor on “Juan of Dead”.

22. Joao Mattos 4 years ago

Ryan,

23. Alebrugues 4 years ago

Thanks for posting about Molina Ferozz. Being one of the main actors of “Juan”, I’m pretty sure he appreciates all this.
    As for the essay, I hadn’t thought about it that way. I think we don’t do horror films for the same reason latin americans filmmakers don’t do it, because it’s not what it’s “expected” from us. We’re supposed to be doing social films.
    But I don’t care, anyway. I did it. No one ever questioned me because of the genre. Because of politics? Let’s talk about it some other day.

24. Alebrugues 4 years ago

25. Faux 4 years ago

Hello, Alebrugues, director of this movie. My grandma says thank you for demolish the Focsa to see the dusk. F.-

26. Faux 4 years ago