First look at Gerard Butler as the Machine Gun Preacher

Relativity Media’s Machine Gun Preacher just sent out a first look pic – which by now has hit every website known to man.  But the web is so hungry for any real news of movies that don’t involve super hero costumes that they’re soak it all up like a dry sponge.  Machine Gun Preacher  is a true story about Sam Childers, a former drug-dealing criminal who undergoes a transformation and becomes the founder of Angels of East Africa rescue organization.  The film is directed by Marc Forster.    What think we?  Mr. Butler on the road to a nom?

1. Kevin Klawitter 4 years ago

Could be. Butler is a lot more talented than most people give him credit for, and for all the hype and hubbub Best Actor is still a pretty open calendar. Butler even has a prominent supporting role in Ralph Fiennes’ “Coriolanus”, so that could help (or hinder) his chances as well.

OT: poster for George Clooney’s “The Ides of March”

2. Kevin Klawitter 4 years ago

OT: poster for George Clooney’s “The Ides of March”

3. Drew 4 years ago

Blood Diamond for the fly-over states.

4. Drew 4 years ago

Blood Diamond for the fly-over states.

5. genia 4 years ago

I think this movie is going to be awesome!
    I love Gerard and I adore Souleymane Sy Savane from a movie called Goodbye Solo a
    few years ago. He was robbed of an Oscar, I swear. Anyway, I’ll be in the theaters as soon
    as it hits my home town.

6. genia 4 years ago

I think this movie is going to be awesome!
    as it hits my home town.

7. phantom 4 years ago

Early word is great, but then again that usually is even if it shouldn’t be. Marc Forster could make all the difference here, but I think the nomination is the best Butler could do this year. DiCaprio will probably sweep with J.Edgar. Oh, well, my hunch-based 2 cents.

8. phantom 4 years ago

9. Holly 4 years ago

He will NOT get a nom for a Globe or an Oscar for this. He needs to step far away…….far, far away from the bad movies like Gamer and PS I Love You and do more dramas before he can get this type of honor. Also, I heard more than a few reviews saying his performance is indeed good here, but the Scottish accent is very apparent in many scenes. You don’t get awards for bad American accents!

10. Holly 4 years ago

11. m1 4 years ago

OT: We Need to Talk About Kevin and Young Adult set for December releases. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=changes&p=.htm

And yes, Butler certainly has a shot. Hopefully he’ll stop doing terrible rom-coms like The Ugly Truth and The Bounty Hunter.

12. m1 4 years ago

13. paisley 4 years ago

Agree that Mr. Butler is much more talented than mosst folks give him credit for, He will most definitely get an Oscar nod for this film. It may not win, but Machine Gun Preacher will give J. Edgar a run for its money.

14. paisley 4 years ago

15. Keifer 4 years ago

I can’t wait to see him also in “Coriolanus” with Ralph Fiennes and Vanessa Redgrave. It’s on my “must see” list. It’s got Weinstein behind it, so it could be a real Oscar sneaker.

16. Keifer 4 years ago

17. Linda 4 years ago

Can’t wait…..just for the record, some of us like PSILY, TUT, and TBH….

18. Linda 4 years ago

Can’t wait…..just for the record, some of us like PSILY, TUT, and TBH….

19. Stephen Holt 4 years ago

Gerard is the real deal. Anyone who can come back from “Phantom of the Opera” to become a REAL MOVIE STAR crossing genres like most people cross the street is someone who endures and builds ~ a great career. And this like his Best Oscar bet yet.

20. Stephen Holt 4 years ago

21. susan kent 4 years ago

Since the beginning of time in the movies has there ever been such a beauiful leading man in face and body as Gerard Butler.He is a genuinely fine actor too. He seems to get better with time.The only movie he made that I did not like was that stupid “bounty hunter”.Outside of that he has done some really fine work.My favorite was Attilla,Phantom of the Opera,and machine gun preacher.I saw it the other night and it was amazing.I had to go to see it again.Everyone that has seen it is going again.Also I liked Law abiding Citizen,all though that was a bit of a stretch for anyone tunnelling himself in and out of prison.Never could happen the way he did it.

22. susan kent 4 years ago

23. susan kent 4 years ago

gerard butler is the only manly male looking star we have today.Most of them are girlie looking boys in Hollywood.Long may our Gerard reign.

24. susan kent 4 years ago