Steven Spielberg to be Honored with the David O. Selznick Award

Press release:  The Producers Guild of America (PGA) announced today that producer, director, writer and Principal Partner of DreamWorks Studios Steven Spielberg will receive the 2012 David O. Selznick Achievement Award in Motion Pictures. The award will be presented to Spielberg at the 23rd Annual Producers Guild Awards ceremony on Saturday, January 21st at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles.

The Producers Guild of America’s Selznick Achievement Award recognizes a producer’s outstanding body of work in motion pictures. The honor has a rich and distinguished history with past recipients including such legendary producers as Stanley Kramer, Saul Zaentz, Clint Eastwood, Billy Wilder, Brian Grazer, Jerry Bruckheimer, Roger Corman, Laura Ziskin, Kathleen Kennedy & Frank Marshall, John Lasseter and last year’s 2011 recipient Scott Rudin.

“As one of the most prolific filmmakers of all time, Steven’s continued genius, imagination and fearlessness in the world of feature film entertainment is unmatched in this industry,” said Producers Guild Awards co-chairs Paula Wagner and Michael Manheim. “Steven has produced some of the most iconic films in the history of cinema and we have no doubt he will continue to bring thrilling adventures, emotionally moving storylines, thought provoking characters and cult classics to audiences across the globe. We’re extremely proud to recognize Steven’s contributions to the producing craft as well as the entire film industry with the David O. Selznick honor.”

1. CarsonT 4 years ago

“But Louis B. Mayer wouldn’t be Goebbels’ proper opposite number. I believe Goebbels sees himself closer to David O. Selznick.” -Inglourious Basterds

The only place I’ve heard of David O. Selznick before this post, shows how much I know. Fail.

2. CarsonT 4 years ago

3. Matt 4 years ago

@Carson

Selznick is, perhaps, the most famous film producer of all time and the strongest (only?) case of a producer actually being the ‘auteur’. He was so powerful that even managed to exert some measure of control over Alfred Hitchcock, to the point where Rebecca (the only Hitchcock film to win Best Picture) is viewed almost as much a Selznick picture as a Hitchcock one. His most famous film though, of course, is Gone With the Wind.

4. Matt 4 years ago

@Carson

5. h 4 years ago

Spielberg is a legend, and still has 20 or more years to give us.my only regret for him is that with his billions worth of power he is not funding the new Kubricks/Scorseses, instead he is handing blank checks to the Michael Bays of the world.

6. h 4 years ago

7. Rashad 4 years ago

He gave you Sam Mendes.

8. Rashad 4 years ago

He gave you Sam Mendes.

9. The Pope 4 years ago

Sasha,
    Sorry but I had to laugh. A lot of people left Ireland in the 1800s and settled in America and today over 40million Americans can lay claim to having roots in the old country. But David O’Selznick. Could he be related to David O Selznick? You know, the guy who added the O on a whim. Wow! I’m sure his Ukrainian parents were proud. And probably Catholic too. Which means they were one of my flock. ; )

10. The Pope 4 years ago

Sasha,

11. The Pope 4 years ago

Rashad,
    Mendes has been a severe disappointment since his first film which was, looking back now, quite an uneven piece of work. Now had you mentioned Zemeckis… (at least the early version of him).

12. The Pope 4 years ago

Rashad,

13. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

oops, The Pope. Thanks.

Can you tell Sasha and I have both been distracted the past few days?

As you point out, the O. in David O Selznick doesn’t stand for anything. He was given no middle name at birth. So apparently out of all the initials Selznick could have chosen, he picked one deliberately to give himself a touch of the Irish.

We’re still working on breaking the “David O’Russell” habit.

14. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

oops, The Pope. Thanks.

Can you tell Sasha and I have both been distracted the past few days?

We’re still working on breaking the “David O’Russell” habit.

15. The Pope 4 years ago

Ryan,
    Wasn’t Selznick the source of the joke in North by Northwest when Eve Kendall asks Roger O Thornhill what the “O” stands for and he says, “nothing much.”

16. The Pope 4 years ago

Ryan,

17. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

The Pope,

I’d never heard that, but it has to be true — sounds exactly like something Lehman knew Hitchcock would enjoy.

Thanks for co-hosting Awards Daily’s continuing series of educational mistakes!

18. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

The Pope,

Thanks for co-hosting Awards Daily’s continuing series of educational mistakes!

19. Rashad 4 years ago

Considering Menes’ best films are Revolutionary Road and Road to Perdition, no I wouldn’t say he’s been a disappointment at all. (Even with Away we Go being terrible.)

I was referring to more modern directors, but Zemeckis is a great one as well. And even with his mo-cap dabbling, that hasn’t changed. Those movies are fine, just not as good as his past work. Aesthetically those films are superb, even if the facial animations aren’t that great.

20. Rashad 4 years ago

21. Bryce H. 4 years ago

Didn’t Lars von Trier add the von just because he was a fan of Erich von Stroheim and some other ___ von ___? Or is that just my imagination?

What is wrong with Road to Perdition, Jarhead, and Revolutionary Road? I mean, I agree that Mendes got progressively worse, but I don’t think it was a steep decline or anything. His first four films all made my Top 10 or their respective years, but most of the time I just hear people bitch about his post-AB career.

22. Bryce H. 4 years ago