Touch of Evil: Cinematic Villainy from the Year’s Best Performances, NY Times Tribute

The Alex Prager directed videos are so wonderful and worth a few minutes of your time.  My favorite is, of course, Rooney Mara as Alex from A Clockwork Orange, but Kirsten Dunst is also great, Glenn Close, Viola Davis, George Clooney — Brad Pitt! There isn’t a dud in the bunch.  Have a look.

[nggallery id=9]

1. Clayton 4 years ago

Is it weird that I’m super attracted to Rooney Mara in that get-up? It suits her

2. Haggar 4 years ago

The Viola Davis clip was so chilling – got my heart racing for a moment. All in all, I’ll say the clips are a testament to the power of silent filmmaking. So much can be said with few to zero words.

3. Macy Kendall 4 years ago

Can anyone recognize who is portraying the ventriloquist’s creepy dummy in the above gallery of videos? I knew that man is unnaturally and superlatively hyper-talented, but to portray a ventriloquist’s creepy dummy??? Goodness me!! No wonder, Gary Oldman is such a chameleon in his roles!

4. Chels 4 years ago

Who were they all supposed to be playing? I got Mara and Glenn Close’s portrayal.

5. William Best 4 years ago

Mara = Clockwork Orange, Close = Black Swan, Pitt = Eraserhead, Oduye = Bonnie & Clyde, Wasikowski (Psycho?), Davis (One flew over the cuckoos nest?), Oldman (Child’s play?), Clooney (any film about Napoleon), Dunst (any film about Adam and Eve)

6. Mike meyer 4 years ago

Oldman is supposed to be Fats from Attenborough’s “Magic” (supremely creepy film)…

7. moniquev 4 years ago

Clooney is Capt. Bligh – they make comments on their characters on another page in the series (with the still photos)

8. Paddy M 4 years ago

These are good. I especially like Gary Oldman’s – what a travesty that he has not yet been nominated for an Oscar. Shame that I don’t think this is his year, although it certainly could be…

9. The Great Dane 4 years ago

My first thought was: What the hell is no-talent January Jones doing in this gallery? Then I realized it was Mia Wasikowska. Wow! She has never looked so gorgeous before. Well, she has never done the babe before (not in a film that I have seen, anyway). She’s so hot in this!

Chastain got a little robbed here. They could have extended the idea a little.

All in all, a great idea – and yes, it unknowingly gives an edge to “The Artist” – SILENT IS BACK!!

10. menyc 4 years ago

Love them. Mia W was my fave. Jean DuJardin has been keeping a little secret: that is absolutely smokin’ hot. Damn…

11. Reido 4 years ago

Oh, MAGIC! I thought Oldman’s homage was for DEVIL DOLL:

Shows where my mind is…

12. hotdog 4 years ago

@williambest uhhhh not really… Glenn Close is supposed to be silent film star Theda Bara, not Black Swan. Clooney is Captain Bligh from Mutiny on the Bounty. Oldman is the dummy Fats from Magic. Dunst I”m pretty sureis supposed to be Cora from The Postman Always Rings Twice.

13. HahaLives 4 years ago

Pitt’s is the best, IMO.

14. Kade 4 years ago

“Some of the stars played archetypal bad-guy figures, while others did a take on a specific character.”

Brad Pitt as the Madman
    Jessica Chastain as the Fire Starter
    Jean Dujardin as the Hothead
    Adepero Oduye as the Outlaw
    Glenn Close as the Vamp

(via SlashFilm)

15. Mark 4 years ago

Loving Brad Pitt as Jeffrey Wells.