Awards Daily simulated Oscar nominations ballot

Here’s your VIP ballot for the Awards Daily simulated Oscar nominations. Our annual project to help us get a better grasp of the task Academy members face each year. Rob Y has done another bang-up job building the ballot framework. To simplify matters, for most categories you need only click your selections in a drop-down […]

Here’s your VIP ballot for the Awards Daily simulated Oscar nominations. Our annual project to help us get a better grasp of the task Academy members face each year. Rob Y has done another bang-up job building the ballot framework. To simplify matters, for most categories you need only click your selections in a drop-down menu, choosing your candidates according to each of their respective film titles.

It gets a little trickier when voting in for the 4 acting categories, as you’ll be asked to manually type in the names of the actors who gave your favorite 20 performances. Don’t be too worried about perfect spelling so long as you come close — but be sure to click the title of the films in which your nominees starred to give Rob a clue when he sorts them all out.

Each year we’re asked: “Are these ballots intended to be my own personal choices or am I trying to predict how the Academy thinks?” I like to think the answer can be: Both. (Don’t we wish we could infiltrate the Academy? When in Rome…)

To give us the most interesting and relevant results, the best way to approach voting is to simply pretend you are a member of the Academy. Your ballot arrives by courier. You make your selections according to whomever you want to see win when you’re sitting in the Kodak Theater on February 26th. Plug into your inner AMPAS member.

The Academy is 6000 individuals. Go easy on yourself and don’t try to put yourself inside the heads of all of them. (No, you can’t all be Scarlett Johansson. Somebody has to volunteer to be Ernest Borgnine, sorry.) Just vote with your heart, as we trust most members of the AMPAS will do. Have fun.

UPDATE: Voting will be closed on Monday, January 16 at Midnight PST.

We’ll try to answer any questions in the comments, or you can write directly to Rob Y at ADNominations@yahoo.com

1. Max G 4 years ago

When is it due?

2. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

I forgot to say:
    Voting will be closed on January 14 at Midnight PST

3. Steven 4 years ago

this felt like drawing blood

4. menyc 4 years ago

That was fun. Interesting how I ended up with a pretty limited amount of films repeating in many categories.
    It was hard to fill supporting slots, imo. So Uggie got in.

5. Nate 4 years ago

I’m going to Tinker Tailor right now. Don’t know if I’ll see anything else by the closing of the ballot. hmmmm.

6. Jim 4 years ago

I voted for what I would vote for rather than what I think will get it. Which is to say that I’m pretty sure none of my top 5 movies seem to have a chance. At least not at the Oscars. If other folks here vote as I did, then maybe! I won’t hold out hope for Weekend, but…Melancholia anyone? Beginners? I feel like I have no horse in any of the races since this was the year I officially disliked everything everyone else loved. I still haven’t seen The Artist because I’m scared I’ll hate that too!

7. Zach Heltzel 4 years ago

I didn’t realize just how off the reservation I am compared to the Academy. My ballot is kind of a waste in that regard, unless if by some miracle YOUNG ADULT and WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN somehow sweep the Oscar noms.

8. Scott 4 years ago

I wouldn’t feel right doing this now…how long do I have to see The Artist, Hugo, The Descendents, Tinker Tailor, and Drive?

9. Simone 4 years ago

I’m done, that was a little tough. I followed my heart on most of my choices, not the hype.

10. Scott 4 years ago

nvm, I see it’s the 14th…yikes that doesn’t give me much time.

11. Bryce 4 years ago

Well, if I’m going to pretend that I’m an Academy member, I might as well vote for Margaret even though I haven’t seen it. After all, I know that’s how someone like Glenn Close will be nominated.

Maybe I’ll even fall for the pretty Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close banner FYCs that I’ve been seeing…

12. Houstonrufus 4 years ago

Thanks for this! Great fun!

13. steve50 4 years ago

That was easy. I noticed that Drive Angry was in one of the top spots (instead of Drive) – forget the category (sorry)

14. Yashar R 4 years ago

Awesome ballot but there is just one small (and rather funny) error: Among main / top choices for Best Editing, “Drive Angry” is listed instead of “Drive”.

15. Kholby 4 years ago

My most nominated movies: Midnight in Paris, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Young Adult, Shame and Moneyball.

My my, what taste you have Kholby. 😉

16. Rodrigo 4 years ago

All done!!

I needed to guess with We Need To Talk About Kevin and Albert Nobbs as neither film will be released in Vancouver until probably next month. :(

17. Jose P 4 years ago

I went with my favorites for most: War Horse, Hugo, Midnight in Paris.
    Moneyball comes next. J Edgar with acting only. Most acting choices were simply what I expect since I haven’t seen all potential nominees. I also supported Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, I loved the book, even though it has had a struggle, and it hasn’t been made available yet to most of the country.

18. AdamA 4 years ago

Wow–I wasn’t planning to soak my ballot in Tinker Tailor, since it’s not my #1, but it really is quite excellent in all phases. Amazing how little success it’s had thus far.

Other than that, Drive, Bridesmaids, Melancholia, Take Shelter, and We Need to Talk About Kevin took the most noms.

19. John 4 years ago

20. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

AdamA,

I discovered the same tendency when I filled out a test ballot for Rob. He had to message me last night to double-check my choices because I think he was surprised to see Tinker Tailor infiltrating so many categories.

21. steve50 4 years ago

…Tinker Tailor infiltrating so many categories.”

damn, sneaky spies

22. SClub88Official 4 years ago

I hope Harry Potter 7.2 get’s nominated for Best Picture

23. Yibbet 4 years ago

Why is TABLOID not listed as an option?

24. cinejab 4 years ago

i couldn’t find dragon tattoo as an option for Best Actress?

25. Bryce 4 years ago

Picture Tree of Life/Margaret/War Horse/Moneyball/Beginners
    Director Malick/Lonergan/Ramsay/Durkin/Refn
    Actor Shannon/Fassbender (Shame)/Pitt/Clive Owen (Trust)/McGregor
    Actress Liana Liberato (Trust)/Theron/Olsen/Ellen Barkin (Another Happy Day)/Colman
    Supp Actor Pitt/Gosling/Ifans (Anonymous)/Waltz/Greenwood (Meek’s Cutoff)
    Supp Actress Fanning/Mulligan/Redgrave/Chastain (Tree of Life)/Blanchett (Hanna)
    Original Script Tree of Life/Margaret/Beginners/Take Shelter/Certified Copy
    Adapted Script Moneyball/Jane Eyre/We Bought a Zoo/We Need to Talk About Kevin/Higher Ground
    Editing Tree of Life/Girl with the Dragon Tattoo/Margaret/We Need to Talk About Kevin/Beginners
    Cinematography Tree of Life/We Need to Talk About Kevin/Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close/Jane Eyre/Martha Marcy May Marlene

26. tombeet 4 years ago

I was gonna pick Senna for Best editing, but I found Senn instead. Are they the same film anyhow?

27. Paddy M 4 years ago

Why are some films singled out at the top of the lists? Surely this encourages people to vote for them and neglect other choices. I know my choices regardless, but I don’t see why the most likely Oscar candidates are first in line on the drop downs.

Not fair *grumpy face*

28. Paddy M 4 years ago

Also I aint voting until I can vote for Wuthering Heights.

29. brendon 4 years ago

Not that anyone else here will vote for it, but Restless should be listed under ‘Adapted Screenplay’ – it’s based on a stage play.

30. Jim 4 years ago

“Voting for Kirsten Dunst and putting Viola Davis in the supporting category felt SO GOOD”

Amen, John. Amen.

31. Dominik 4 years ago

I guess this comes at least three weeks early, because I haven´t seen enough of the candidates – most of them haven´t opened yet in Germany.

As for Tinker, Tailor…, I´m reading the novel by Le Carré right now. Anyone intrested, it´s really worth it. You can tell that the author himself is an insider in the subject!

32. Rob Y 4 years ago

About the order,

I placed the front runners on top for ease. The front runners are defined by Sasha and are taken from the front page.

The acting front runner titles from the four categories are lumped together, as it was easier to write the code.

cinejab, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has been correctly placed in the front runner group.

33. Rob Y 4 years ago

Yibbet,

Tabloid is not on the list of Oscar eligible titles.

34. Rob Y 4 years ago

Tombeet,

You are right, Senn is a typo for Senna. It has been corrected.

35. Paddy M 4 years ago

Rob, must the list be comprised only of films which are eligible for the Oscar? I want to vote for Wuthering Heights and it’s not eligible. Surely we ought to be able to pick our favourite choices of the year, regardless of awards eligibility. After all, these aren’t the Oscars.

36. Rob Y 4 years ago

Yashar R,

Drive has been put into the front runner category. Drive Angry has been put below.

NOTE: If you selected Drive Angry thinking it was Drive (or vice versa), re-submit your editing vote.

37. Too Many AJs 4 years ago

Can we place campaign ads?

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
    Beginners – Best Original Screenplay

Easily one of the best screenplays of the year, and a strong contender for an Oscar nomination. But it’s below the cut, so don’t forget about it!

38. OCO300 4 years ago

@SClub88Official wouldn’t bet on it, cause the Academy/critics and BFCA might have something against HP:DH 2 for being Best Picture. Even though to alot of people and critics it’s the highest grossing, best reviewed, best selling DVD, and the most anticipated film event of the year, and sure it was to the public “snubbed” at all or a few of those critic awards (even nominations for Best Picture, except those awards that’s voted by the public).

Also it had a 96 on RT, 87 on MC, 93 on BFCA, and 8.4/10 on IMDB, made alot of box office records, set the record for fastest-selling pre-order DVD and Blu-ray on Amazon.com, has universal critical acclaim, and the entire series has been the most successful film series of all time. I mean the critics and the Academy had reason for not nominating it for Best Picture, but is that what everyone thinks, does everyone (including the Academy and critic) think HP’s last movie shouldn’t be nominated for Best Picture? Is it worth of that nomination since it was first released? Is it and was it always Oscar worthy? Is itWill it ever be forgotten? Is it the worst film of the year? Is the best film of the year? Does critics hate it, really liked it, or love it? And one more thing …..does the entire HP film series (franchise) deserve an honorary Oscar for all the hard work it’s done for the past 10 years?

Well maybe it might not be nominated for Best Picture but to alot of people it alwasys be the Best Picture of 2011, no matter what the Academy or critics say.

39. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

You can tell that the author himself is an insider in the subject!

yes! John le Carré is the pen name for David Cornwel who worked for years in British Intelligence, MI5 & MI6 durong the time when Kim Philby, Guy Burgess, Anthony Blunt and those guys were exposed as KGB moles.

Since the novel’s publication over the years, many of the characters have been connected with the identities and personalities of real life agents le Carré knows.

40. David 4 years ago

No drop-drown menu appears next to First Choice and Second Choice in the Screenplays category. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

41. David 4 years ago

In the Adapted section, I should add.

42. Rob Y 4 years ago

Brenden,

Restless has been moved to the Adapted category. Only one person voted for it. If that person were to resubmit their vote for screenplay only, then it will be fixed.

43. Rob Y 4 years ago

David,

Retry. I was working on the Screenplay page about the time you experience trouble.

Rob

44. Rob Y 4 years ago

Paddy,

This exercise is designed to provide the experience of selecting nominees just like the Academy, warts and all. Some films are not eligible because the studio did not follow the rules. My favorite film from a few years ago was the Swedish film “Let the Right One In” and I couldn’t even nominate it.

I’m sorry to say, Wuthering Heights is not on the list.

45. David 4 years ago

lol, I was the one person who voted for Restless… *blushes* Sorry if it caused a problem, lol.

Anyway, I changed my Original lineup, and I’ve refreshed a few times, and those two drop-downs are still missing.

46. David 4 years ago

And I’m not sure you had to go through all this trouble. The material Restless is adapted from–past plays and prose by the screenwriter–has never been published. BAFTA consider the screenplay original.

47. AdamA 4 years ago

Very cool info, Dominik and Ryan–can’t believe I’ve read le Carré without thinking to research his background! Makes total sense.

48. alan of montreal 4 years ago

Ryan, my favourite film of the year, Pina, is not on the ballot. Is there anyway to do a write in?

49. Travo 4 years ago

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was my number one choice for, like, everything. Supporting Actor was great because I got to put in so many great actors that won’t be nominated for rizzle this year. Tinker Tailor got some love, Contagion, Mia Wasikowska for Jane Eyre, and some other good stuff.

50. Rob Y 4 years ago

David,

What browser are you using? Also, which screenplay category are you having trouble with?

51. Rob Y 4 years ago

Alan,

Sorry, there are no write in titles.

52. alan of montreal 4 years ago

rats

53. Dave L 4 years ago

Am trying to vote for the AMAZING Olivia Colman in Tyrannosaur, but it’s not in the drop-down menu in the acting categories… Help!

54. Dave L 4 years ago

Ignore that – it’s up higher. Sorry! :?/

55. rufussondheim 4 years ago

Thanks for including Glee 3D: The Concert Movie in the best screenplay category.

56. Rob Y 4 years ago

Tree Of Life
    Jane Eyre
    Hanna
    Melancholia
    Take Shelter

59. Adam 4 years ago

5 slots for each category isn’t enough for this year. So many great movies/performances!

Maybe the Academy should allow six slots in each category starting this year? A man can dream.

60. Antoinette 4 years ago

I haven’t seen THE ARTIST or SHAME. On the chance that they could make my ballot, I’m going to wait until the last minute but I don’t think it will make a difference unless… I somehow…. see them…. even though I live in the boonies…. *wink* lol

61. Zach Heltzel 4 years ago

I would have cast quite a few votes for LIFE IN A DAY and KABOOM! but they weren’t on the ballot, but with good reason. Nobody else would have voted for them, so I’d be throwing my vote away. Plus, I don’t think the former is eligible. Oh well.

62. steve50 4 years ago

“Glee 3D: The Concert Movie in the best screenplay category”

missed it, DAMN!

63. A.J 4 years ago

This reminded me a couple years ago when I had Anna Faris high up on one of my lists. Can Hollywood please give her a good movie to star in already? Woody Allen?

64. SClub88Official 4 years ago

@OCO300 ur right, but you got to give it a great job for trying after all the hard work it did, but your right it’ll never be forgotten, and I don’t see why it wasn’t nominated for best picture at all those critic awards.

65. rufussondheim 4 years ago

I think KABOOM is considered 2010.

You know, awhile back we had a conversation about how a movie can be good even though nearly all of the elements of the movie are subpar. Araki always seems to be like this. He’s a good screenwriter (if he’s the one who writes them. I’d love to see some other director try out those scripts.

Now I know they are supposed to be campy, especially KABOOM! but some of his earlier work (like The Living End) were just so shoddily put together it took a lot of effort to overcome the negatives. But if you do, you really get a nice reward (usually) when you get to the end of his films.

KABOOM!’s ending was probably my favorite final shot I’ve seen in a movie in the last couple of years. It’s just so unexpected, yet should not have been. I laughed and laughed and laughed.

66. Paddy M 4 years ago

That’s alright, Rob. I was only hoping that, for those of us who live outside of the US, we wouldn’t have to adhere to American release dates in regard to eligibility, but I understand. If this is an Academy-related exercise, it makes sense to only include what films are eligible for the Oscar. Hopefully Wuthering Heights will meet their eligibility requirements next year and I can nominate it then.

67. David 4 years ago

Rob Y–sorry for the late response. I’m using Firefox. And the top two drop-downs under Adapted Screenplay aren’t appearing.

68. henry 4 years ago

ohh club and OCO, do you continue looking excuses and excuses?? The critics have been good with harry potter, because it is the final. That is it.. It is a simple movie as captain american , pirates of the caribbean and mission impossible. So face the reality, doesnt matter the critics, if it is the finale of the saga. It is not good enough for getting nominations for best picture.

The AMPAS doesnt have anything against that… You say that, because you dont accept the fact, the saga always lost everything. But as it is a competition, there are winners and losers…. And they lost, because they were not the best..

You understand, dont be silly

69. SClub88Official 4 years ago

@henry yeah a simple film that made over a billion dollars in record time

70. OCO300 4 years ago

71. Andrew 4 years ago

This was interesting. We complain about academy voters having groupthink and not seeing the films, but i voted for films that I had not seen based on the buzz. It seems wrong

72. Daren 4 years ago

Are Tabloid and Into the Abyss not eligible this year? Or did I just miss them? I will be very sad whichever is true…

73. Scott 4 years ago

I think henry might have worse grammar then OCO even…

74. Scott 4 years ago

*and spelling

75. Scott 4 years ago

He also lacks common sense

76. OCO300 4 years ago

@Scott 1) I don’t lack all grammar and 2) ur right about Henry

77. Micheal 4 years ago

Am I the only one who voted for Jessica Chastain for two different movies?

78. Mark 4 years ago

Yikes I gave Ryan Gosling three nominations. I’m such a fangirl.

79. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

henry is ok by me.
    I make dozens of typos every day, but I can fix them every day too.

henry’s grammar and english are fine. i don’t have any trouble understanding. henry, your english is a lot better than my spanish.

80. Scott 4 years ago

lol, what like henry and OCO being the same person fabricating conversations with opposing viewpoints for the fun of it…?

81. Tero Heikkinen 4 years ago

There were like three or four other characters before, but they disappeared. It’s kinda fun, and kinda scary. I’m kinda sleepy.

82. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

Scott, I don’t think you want to push this any further. Agreed? email me if you wonder what I mean.

ryanadamsAD@gmail.com

83. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

henry and OCO being the same person

nope, they’re not.
    henry isn’t a problem at all.

84. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

think about it. If OCO300 likes to argue with opposing viewpoints for the fun of it, he doesn’t need to fabricate that situation for himself around here.

I don’t think it’s fun for him. i think he wishes he had someone on his side.

85. Rick 4 years ago

Great fun to do this. Thanks for providing the opportunity. I was glad to name Alan Rickman, as I think his Severus Snape is the most indelible portrayal in the whole Harry Potter saga. Hope the Academy notices him.

86. Tom C. 4 years ago

Wondering why Senna and Project Nim were available for picking but not The Interrupters and Into the Abyss.

That made me sad.

87. Scott 4 years ago

And do wonder what you mean, and I’m sorta on his side but some of his supporting reasons for a Potter nomination are void any bit of sense. (like when he mentioned it alongside Pirates and Transformers…how exactly was that supposed to help the cause?

88. Scott 4 years ago

Tero I guess I’m not sure what you’re referring to then…

89. Jesse Crall 4 years ago

Anyone else give Ben Foster a nomination for Rampart? I haven’t seen/heard his name mentioned at all and he was just phenomenal (as was Harrelson). Though I did give the top supporting slot to Brad Pitt.

90. forg 4 years ago

Throw AMIGO some love although it will never be nominated 😀

91. Nate 4 years ago

So Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy blew away my expectations! wow.

92. Alexandra 4 years ago

Henry, do you speak spanish?

93. James 4 years ago

No complaints for me. Great job again Rob Y.

I’ll be watching Tinker Tailor tomorrow, so I could still change my ballot (if I find it necessary). Or wait, can I enter again? Is this like AD’s regular contests? (Now why don’t I just check it.)

94. James 4 years ago

Melancholia
    Tree of Life
    Hanna
    Jane Eyre
    Drive

96. Aubrey 4 years ago

This is unlike older Academy voters, the majority, who don’t surf the net for opinion on film, instead, they already get the films freely delivered to their doorstep and pick and choose at leisure. Also, through past interviews, most don’t bother to fill all 5, just put 1 or 2 as their favorite. Lazier–the current ranking method complements this.

97. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

This experiment doesn’t work

it’s not an experiment.
    the ballot is not trying to test or prove anything at all.

it’s only to give AD readers a chance to express their own unique individual opinions.

When Rob runs the numbers and shows us the math on the inside, then we’ll get to see how the process works.

it’s meant to simulate the actual ballot. not replicate it.

gee – AD readers haven’t seen all the movies? they vote based on what they’ve heard? tell me how is that so different from an actual Academy member.

I’d bet big money that most AD readers have seen more 2011 movies that the typical Academy voter has seen. Not just more movies, but better movies.

98. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

Aubrey, two weeks ago we ran a simple multiple choice poll and you had this suggestion:

Shouldn’t films be ranked, like the Oscars? …doesn’t position count?

My thoughts are just an acid test on how ranking, and the minimum percentage, impacts anyone’s list. Does it mean that polarizing films stand a better chance, versus very good but not number 1 in anyone’s list?

This ballot factors in the rankings and it’s designed to show everything you want to know.

If you want to see ballot results that exactly match the Oscars, you’re in luck, that’s happening too. On ABC, February 26th.

99. Tufas 4 years ago

I voted with what I felt it, regardless of what I think Academy members want…

That meant putting Rise of the Planet of the Apes on my number 1 BP slot
    Andy Serkins
    Viola Davis in the supporting category
    Drive for directing
    The Descendents for pretty much all main categories

T.

100. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

That’s good Tufas. That’s the right approach.

We have a contest to predict what readers the Academy will vote. Sasha runs a contest that will ask participants specifically to try to guess what the Academy will do.

This ballot isn’t a prediction too.

Rob showed me some preliminary vote tallies yesterday. These ballot results will bear very little resemblance to the actual Oscar nominees. And that’s fine. It’s not supposed to.

101. OCO300 4 years ago

@Scott I am not SC88O and if memory serves me right how many people do you know that when to Harry Potter’s last film, and said good things about it on AwardsDaily?

102. Mattoc 4 years ago

@Jesse – Ben Foster will never get nominated for Rampart, by anyone.
    It’s not that he is not good. He is extraordinary good. He is actually too good. The role is a slim one, and not that vital to the plot. Basically it could have been anyone playing that role – it just happened to be Foster, who completely losers himself in the role. I think he went all Raging Bull for the prep and only got 5 mins screen time.

Kudos for bringing him up here though.

103. Craig Z 4 years ago

When is someone gonna teach OCO and SC800 how to make a coherent sentence? It really is a chore to try to figure out what they are talking about.

“@henry not good enough….not good enough to earn nominatination for Best Picture and hows that?”

I mean…… Huh????

I swear I’m not picking on them but I just don’t get it. They claim that English is their first language but…..

104. M.S 4 years ago

No Original Song or Score or Costumes :(

105. Mattoc 4 years ago

Occo is not SClub88. If you had followed conversations we’ve had over the last month, I think it’s rather obvious he is the Zodiac…

Look closely at cypher 340. OCO and HP are clearly referenced.

106. Scott 4 years ago

wha…? Are you referring to Fincher’s film?

107. Craig Z 4 years ago

He is referring to the actual person, the Zodiac, Scott.

108. OCO300 4 years ago

@Craig Z. 1)I was born in the US 2) do you have something against British films? 3)maybe if you checked the email or website of the people who posted those HP comments that could give you a lead.

109. Craig Z 4 years ago

1.I am aware you are from the US 2. What is why I am so confused your horrible grammar 3. I didn’t say you and that other guy were the same person I said “OCO AND SC88″ implying two different people 4.When did I ever say anything about British films?

110. Craig Z 4 years ago

Also, sorry for my own horrible grammar on that last post. I am on my iPhone.

111. Unlikelyhood 4 years ago

Rob Y love what you’ve done with the place…but if you’d done it a month ago, I suspect “the help” would have been in more categories before the jump. Especially director. I scrolled down to make it my #1 pick for director. You got “drive” before the jump on all categories. Over-optimistic methinks.

I will go on the record now and predict that Jean dujardin doesn’t make the AD top 5 best actors. The nature of this ballot weighs against it, as it does not for real academy ballots. People here have to remember his name and how it’s spelled (or have another site or list guiding them), and I’ll wager that not enough will.

112. SClub88Official 4 years ago

@Craig Z. I accept your apology

113. henry 4 years ago

yeah I speak spanish, sorry for my grammar. And I meant Harry potter is not the whole package for earning a best picture nomination. That is it

114. Tom C. 4 years ago

@Aubrey

“This experiment doesn’t work because many here haven’t seen the pictures and are voting based on hype and internet chatter.”

You think just because Academy members get the opportunity to see films, they do? I’ve heard actors say that they see an average of 5 to 10 movies a year. Some just don’t care. Samuel L. Jackson gives his AMPAS ballot to his maid.

115. Aubrey 4 years ago

Ryan,
    Problem is how to vote for films and performances which haven’t reached my area? In contrast, I’ve a relative in NY who’s in the Documentary branch and she told me over Christmas she got sent piles of films from the studios, even the non-doc ones. To vote for Best Pic. And there are all the invites for the free screenings too for the Academy members.

For example, I’d love to be able to see the Iron Lady, Shame etc., and put a ranking on it, but not reached my area yet. Many films still haven’t gone into wider release. I can’t rank something based on trailers.

Perhaps if this poll is done closer to the awards date, where most films are available, then it’s a better reflection. Like for now, you may do a poll on films from beginning to fall.

116. Polos 4 years ago

Shame we can’t list Original Score (a personal favourite category of mine despite its being seen as MINOR) so I could list Alberto Iglesias, Alberto Iglesias!!

117. Aubrey 4 years ago

Tom,
    Academy voters, especially many of the older ones, who don’t watch the films won’t bother to put it in their ballot. At MOST they watch 4 to 5 films in total, then put 1 or 2 in, rarely bother to fill them all out, this is what I was told by my relative who’s been filling them in (she’s in Doc, her spouse in the Art prod. branch).

118. W.J. 4 years ago

Since many of my favorite films were foreign or holdovers from 2010 (a Dec. 31 limited release does not a 2010 film make), this was a bit tough. It forced me to make some interesting choices like Cicely Tyson in Help (totally deserving albeit very brief, unhyped cameo) and William Shimel in Certified Copy (as low key as lead acting performances get).

Alas, Poetry, The Time That Remains, Biutiful, Another Year and so many others slip through the cracks (and no, a token acting or screenplay nomination doesn’t cut it).

119. Dominik 4 years ago

Ryan, intresting stuff: Le Carré himself is referring to the Philby scandal in his preamble to the novel. I didn´t know about Philby, but the whole subject of cold war spying is absolutely fascinating!
    I mean, everyone has seen James Bond movies (and they are quite enjoyable, at least the early ones with Connery), but with “Tinker, Tailor…” you get the feeling that the plot is very close to the reality, and that reality looks very depressing and disillusional – you can´t trust noone if you are in that business. This point becomes very clear in De Niro´s “Good Shepherd”-film, which was not perfect at all, but pretty intresting.

And for the Ballot: For the hell, I vote and mix the films I like with the films I´m pretty sure I will like. “Tinker, Tailor…” opens in three weeks, but I´m sure I will love ist.

120. Ryan Adams 4 years ago

Aubrey,

We need to complete the simulated ballot well before the Oscar nominations come out, or else the nominations themselves will influence on how AD readers feel. Choosing an ersatz Oscars nominations days or weeks after the thing has already happened isn’t very interesting.

Just vote for what you’ve seen. There are major movies that I haven’t caught yet too. I’m not going to vote for something I haven’t seen. But that’s just me. (Sorry Michelle Williams! I’m sure you’re great, but the studio doesn’t care if I know it or not!)

You can nominate some films based on what you’ve seen or heard — trust me, there are Academy members who do that too.

121. DVP 4 years ago

Is there a way to add Buck, The Interrupters, The Arbor, The Mill and the Cross, and other films to the list? Or a way to type in selections not found in the list?

122. Jesse Crall 4 years ago

@Mattoc: I felt kind of bad for Foster because he did a ridiculous method job on the role and not only did he get 5 minutes of screen time as you pointed out, he did it in a movie that about 18 people saw. Oh well.

@Aubrey: I had your problem with lead actresses because I haven’t seen Albert Nobbs or We Need to Talk About Kevin. I just voted in what/who I had seen…

123. Asif Khan 4 years ago

Thank you so much for doing this, it was fun to do.

124. alan of montreal 4 years ago

Henry, don’t apologize for your grammar. This is a site that should be accessible to anyone from anywhere, and a few dolts not appreciating that shouldn’t make you feel that you have to apologize for who you are. This is a discussion forum for fans of film and the awards that often accompany them, not for grammaticians and linguists. I think Ryan hit the nail on the head in his earlier comment.

125. Pablo (Col) 4 years ago

Already voted 😀

126. Watermelons 4 years ago

Karin Konoval as Maurice in Rise of the Planet of the Apes as my #1 Supporting Actress slot. Kathy Burke as Connie Sachs in TInker Tailor Soldier Spy at a close #2. No regrets!

127. James 4 years ago

Just saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, absolute delight, it’s this year’s Inception, great brain exercise, I’m going to change my votes now and put some Oldman and Alfredson and Strong and others in my ballot.

128. Nate 4 years ago

James,
    Yeah I was totally enthralled the entire time. Oldman and Cumberbatch were both really excellent so was Mark Strong and everybody really. The pace was excellent and I didn’t think it was as dry as it seemed like it would be, I wasn’t bored for a minute.

129. Max G 4 years ago

This is the most interesting AD Ballot I filled out in the three years I’ve been on here already.

I managed to put Moneyball on Picture top slot, without even nominating Miller. Also I put Scorsese on the top directing spot, without even nominating Hugo for Best Picture.

Also I nominated Attack The Block for Screenplay, Kristen Wiig for Best Actress and Benedict Cumberbatch for Supporting instead of Albert Brooks (even though I nominated Drive and Gosling). Also I put Saoirse Ronan on the ballot.

Interesting year!