Costume Design Guild nominations

Hat tip to In Contention:

Excellence in Period Film:

“The Artist” (Mark Bridges)
“Jane Eyre” (Michael O’Connor)
“The Help” (Sharen Davis)
“Hugo” (Sandy Powell)
“W.E.” (Arianne Phillips)

Excellence in Fantasy Film:
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″ (Jany Temime)
“Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” (Penny Rose)
“Red Riding Hood” (Cindy Evans)
“Thor” (Alexandra Byrne)
“X-Men: First Class” (Sammy Sheldon)

Excellence in Contemporary Film:

“Bridesmaids” (Leesa Evans & Christine Wada)
“The Descendants (Wendy Chuck)
“Drive” (Erin Benach)
“The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo” (Trish Summerville)
“Melancholia” (Manon Rasmussen)

1. Rg Serna 4 years ago

GREAt to see Hugo, POtter and Bridesmaids…

2. Harry 4 years ago

The Help. :3

Amazing costumes.

3. Jesus Alonso 4 years ago

Thor! At last!

Say what you want about the movie itself, I just love it. And anything that isn’t a nom for Art Desing and Costume will be a robbery… Asgard and the Asgardians look exactly as they should.

4. Matt Neglia 4 years ago

Drive should win for that iconic scorpion jacket alone

5. Eoin 4 years ago

I thik tht the period nominees will be the fie oscar nominees.

6. rAr 4 years ago

My Week With Marilyn will be nominated for the Oscar instead of W.E.

7. Keifer 4 years ago

I’m kind of pissed.

They ignored the best costumes of the year – created by Lisy Christl in “Anonymous”. Hell they even ignored Jill Taylor’s beautiful creations in “My Week With Marilyn”.

Here’s hoping AMPAS membership will plug these two deserving costume designers.

8. RobertlowercaseA 4 years ago

Haa, Bridesmaids again!!

9. James 4 years ago

14 Oscar nominations for Hugo!

10. Zooey 4 years ago

I doubt it. I’d say Best Picture, Directing, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Film Editing, Original Score, Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Make-up, Art Direction, Costume Design. That’s 12. Original Song is a possibility. What else? Kingsley won’t happen.

11. OCO300 4 years ago

@Matt Neglia are they selling any of those jackets? Hey maybe they could try selling it to Sting (Steve Borden) bet he would look really cool in it, and he could talk to Dixie Carter and TNA to endorse it.

12. Matt 4 years ago

Seems about right. I would have liked to see Midnight in Paris, however.

NGNG – Bridesmaids gets a Best Costume nomination

13. JP 4 years ago

@ James

Let`s hope!! If Hugo campaign was better done, I`d be more confident but… how could Ben Kingsley miss every single award this year. It`s one of the best and most respected actors alive playing an iconic role in a very weak category. How could`t they campaign him properly?

I`m predicting 12.
    Film, Directing, Screenplay, Editing, Cinematography, Costumes, Art Direction, Make-Up, Sound Ed., Sound Mix., V.Effects and Score

The period could be Oscars lineup. I just would put My Week With Marilyn instead of W.E.

14. Jesse Crall 4 years ago

Glad to see Jane Eyre making a guild list. I saw it for the first time this week and was quite impressed. If Spielberg’s name was attached and it was released at a later date, I think it would occupy quite a few nomination slates.

15. DBibby 4 years ago

Spielberg’s name is attached to War Horse and it didn’t help here. Another shocking snub for War Horse.

16. Paddy M 4 years ago

I think there are seven films with a good chance at a Costume Design nomination. Five of them are the CDG’s Period nominees, the other two are The Iron Lady and My Week with Marilyn.

The Artist
    The Help
    Hugo
    The Iron Lady
    Jane Eyre
    My Week with Marilyn
    W.E.

If it’s not five of those seven, I’ll be surprised.

17. The Eye 4 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the post! Costume design is my ABSOLUTE favourite category (I think, at least). Glad to see Melancholia in the mix! Bet Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will beat it, but whatever..it’s the thought that counts, right?

Just did a story on Arianne Phillips and her work in W.E….I could smell awards already…nice to see the nods starting to accumulate!

18. Beth Stevens 4 years ago

If Hugo is nominated by the MPSE tomorrow, it will have hit every guild except SAG. Wonder if that’s broad enough support for a BP win. Tough to win without the actors, but still…

19. Roberto 4 years ago

So far, War Horse has not been considered in any guild. Quite a surprise.

20. Roberto 4 years ago

I hope “Hugo” gets this award at the Oscars.

21. Sean Wu 4 years ago
  22. Craig Z 4 years ago

Poor Midnight in Paris, impossible to place since it fits under…….every category.

23. Paddy M 4 years ago

@ Roberto

Not in any guild? Do the PGA and ACE not count any more? I would have expected they’d be two of the top guilds. It has also appeared in the VES nominees.

24. Alfredo 4 years ago

I guess Midnight in Paris gets snubbed due to placement confusion…is it period? fantasy? contemporary? who knows!?

25. lilli 4 years ago

yay Jane Eyre & TGWTDT & Melancholia!& Thor! & Pirates!
    pleased
    very pleased

26. Keifer 4 years ago

Midnight in Paris should make the Oscar cut as well. Great costuming from different periods – quite a task for any costume designer in one film.