Brad Pitt in Killing Them Softly

The best crime thrillers deliver a deeper message. Read Sasha’s review from Cannes:

The first few scenes of Andrew Dominik’s masterful Killing Them Softly, you think you are in the presence of two idiots who have no idea what they’re doing. They’re being ordered to pull off a robbery. They’re the kind of guys who never figured out how stupid they were and those kind of guys don’t last long in crime novels. You know they’re marked men for their stupidity alone. This is a film that peels open slowly like an onion — stylized violence, piercing dialogue, the occasional blood spatter set to a familiar tune, a la Scorsese. But it was never meant to be a Scorsese film, nor a Tarantino film — though it makes you think it is from the first few scenes. How surprising, then, that it doesn’t turn out to be that kind of movie at all.

1. Jesse Crall 3 years ago

Here we go. Fanboy chum for the leather jacket and aviator set. Can’t wait. Love the smoky desaturated look, real hardass, real smooth. And the poor SOB getting knocked over by the exploding car tells me Dominik’s bringing some realism into the genre, which is just fantastic.

2. rufussondheim 3 years ago

Yeah, this looks promising, although I wish they would be a little more adventurous with their casting. Ray Liotta and James Gandolfini are too associated with iconic works that it takes more effort than it should to separate them from what they’ve done in the past. I’d much rather see someone that’s completely new to this type of film. I’m sure there are plenty of options out there.

3. Geremy 3 years ago

This movie and this cast look like fun. Can’t wait.

4. Anna 3 years ago

I enjoy that there isn’t a token “hot girl” in the trailer.

5. Patricia Scarpin 3 years ago

So apparently my comment never came through.

Pitt looks like he’s trying too hard, as usual. II know I’ve said that already, but I would have gone with Bana for this part. Much more subtle.

6. Jeremy 3 years ago

I don’t think there’s any women in the main cast, period.

Who will be token love interest now!?

Probably Gandolfini.

7. Leocdc 3 years ago

Drive + Animal Kingdom??
    I’m all for something like that.