New Poster for Killing Them Softly gets flagged

Just try to walk away from political subtext in movies this year. Good luck. From Sasha’s Cannes review we know Killing Them Softly is layered with sinister insinuations about the American Dream> Very cool how the marketing soaks the artwork in hints without hammering too hard.

See this star-splattered banner full-sized after the cut.

1. Paddy M 3 years ago

This is the British poster. Were this the American poster, I think there’d be a lot of bemused bums in seats. Read it straight and it misrepresents the movie. If there’s one thing we Brits get, it’s satire.

2. Ryan Adams 3 years ago

ah, ok, I’ll fix the headline. Should have noticed the UK reviews.

Paddy M, Can you expand a little bit, tell us what you imply by “reading it straight”? You mean a reading of the artwork or the movie or both? I think I understand and agree with what you’re saying. Just wanna hear more.

3. Paddy M 3 years ago

Remember that woman who sued FilmDistrict and her cinema because Drive turned out not to be the film she thought it would be? She claimed that the trailer had been misleading. I imagine she’d sue over this poster too. To the average, common, sub-100 IQ filmgoer, this’d look like a kind of “U.S.A! U.S.A!” right-wing, fascist, NRA recruitment drive based on the poster. You could imagine some dimwit suing over that. There’s a little bit of subversion in this poster. I like that.

4. Max 3 years ago

“In America you’re on your own.”

Yeah, I don’t think an American poster would put that on as a tagline.

5. Antoinette 3 years ago

Well that is what the poster looks like. How are you supposed to know what the film is about just by looking at the poster? You can’t. I see a country boy from Missouri with a shotgun and an American flag. What else am I supposed to know? That there’s a Soprano and that guy who’s house had an illegal immigrant in it. Okay. Whatever.

But since I don’t think in these terms, the hair and jacket keep reminding me of Cornelius.

6. ChrisFlick 3 years ago

Saw the trailer for this yesterday when I went to see Lawless. This particular poster art doesn’t seem relevant to the content of the trailer. Just looked like a small time gangsters story with a top flight cast and lots of gunfire, no politics.

7. Ryan Adams 3 years ago

At this point, no need to overexplain it. You can see the movie for yourself and make up your own mind.

Just that it’s always been my understanding that there’s a subtext. Not everybody is gonna see it, not everybody’s gonna look for it, not everybody’s gonna even care.

I’m just saying, it’s there. The movie makes a socio-political statement.

It’s in the marketing for a reason. Disregard it if you want to.

8. Mattoc 3 years ago

My immediate reaction to the poster is that it conveys a rage against the machine subtext. Having not seen the movie, I am not sure whether the film any rage on the current climate or is merely drawing parallels.

OT- Falling Down would be apt if it was released today.