San Francisco screens The Master in 70mm

CriterionCast features a photo of a new poster for Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master that was available at a special 70mm screening in San Francisco.

1. d2 3 years ago

So I the old “the Film Podcast” podcast is back? Something tried to download in i-tunes, but it would always stop abruptly and cease working…

2. Mel 3 years ago

I hope I don’t end up loving this movie or else finding that poster on ebay will become an obsession I likely will be unable to afford but emotionally incapable of letting go.

3. Geremy 3 years ago

This is by far the most interesting poster this movie has released yet. I hope they use it as there primary one from now on, the other one’s were so bland and predictable.

4. Mattoc 3 years ago

yep. I get it. Amy Adams is the meat in the sandwhich. It’s unfortunate she’s merely represented as a Vagina though.

5. d2 3 years ago

Haven’t I seen this design on a poster before? Maybe not with the backwards/mirrored words, but the same kind of picture…maybe on an Ingmar Bergman or David Cronenberg poster..?

6. Ryan Adams 3 years ago

I really can’t remember a movie poster that featured a rorschach ink blot. (though there’s bound to be, surely) (not counting Watchman)

d2, until you mentioned Cronenberg I wouldn’t have remembered that the artwork for Dead Ringers featured a face composed of eyes from two heads.

good call.

7. João 3 years ago

d2, the Bergman movie you’re thinking about is Face to Face.

8. d2 3 years ago

Joao, thanks for the response. I, for the life of me, could not remember what Bergman movie poster I was thinking of. However, now that Ryan reminded me of the Dead Ringers poster, this poster appears more similar to that poster than the Face to Face poster…but what do I know?

9. Ryan Adams 3 years ago

Joao! Never before in my life have I seen that poster for Face to Face. Fantastic. Excellent catch. I like that one.

d2, you gave us excellent hints. Good nudging in the right direction. I think we’ve convincingly traced the design genealogy now.

(I get off on these things. Still Feeling a tingle.)

10. Erik Anderson 3 years ago

I really love this poster for a couple of reasons: one, because it presents a wonderfully dark depiction of two people as two sides of the same coin but even more so because, if you’ve seen the film, the Rorschach test scene is actually one of the funniest scenes in the movie.

11. Ryan Adams 3 years ago

“…it presents a wonderfully dark depiction of two people as two sides of the same coin…”

yikes!