Coen bros scripted Gambit, trailer and poster

Trailer for the original 1966 Gambit, after the cut. The poster is proud to announce Screenplay by Joel Coen and Ethan Coen. I’ll add that Gambit is directed by Michael Hoffmann (The Last Station) because I feel bad for him.

1. Paddy M 3 years ago

Why is it that the only person who looks to be emerging from this with any dignity is a naked Alan Rickman?

@ Ethan and Joel: Please don’t let anybody else direct your screenplays again. It doesn’t work. Maybe if it was Martin Scorsese or somebody, but Michael Hoffman? He’s the least famous person on all his films!!!

2. Maxim 3 years ago

“@ Ethan and Joel: Please don’t let anybody else direct your screenplays again. It doesn’t work.”

Based on what evidence? The fact that you didn’t like the trailer? I kind of did, actually, and I certainly don’t think that Hoffman’s direction did any damage to Coen’s writing. In fact, it seems like he used exactly the right approach to the material.

(And please, don’t bring up Crimewave since it was too long ago anyway).

Or is it the fact that Michael Hoffman is not famous enough for you?

Either way, chill. Instead of complaining about the choice of a director be glad that a movie that would have otherwise likely remained just a screenplay was actually made.

3. Paddy M 3 years ago

Gosh, you know me! I don’t bother with films unless everybody involved in making them has a star on the Walk of Fame.

Saw Killing Them Softly today. Who’s that Brad Pitt anyway? Never heard of him.

4. The Ghost of Easter 3 years ago

Is it wrong if I get a Ladykillers-vibe from this movie… I mainly found the multiple “no pants”-jokes very troubling….

5. matt 3 years ago

Got all excited when I thought the Coen Brothers were writing an X-Men spinoff…

6. therealmike 3 years ago

Well, it looks kind of like “Intolerable Cruelty”, “The Ladykillers” and “Burn After Reading”. So I´m not expecting much.

7. keifer 3 years ago

I think this movie looks like a lot of fun.

Not all films have to be epics / masterpieces, you know.

Looking forward to it – I’ll see it even though I can’t stand Cameron Diaz.

Rickman will make it worthwhile, I’m sure.

And I’m one of those people who loved “Burn After Reading”. One of the Coen brothers’ least appreciated films, in my opinion.

8. Nik Grape 3 years ago

Burn After Reading is an under-appreciated masterpiece, in my opinion. But this does look more Ladykillers than Burn, or Big Lebowski or any classic Coen comedy.

Firth and Rickman will make it worthwhile I’m sure. But it looks pretty bad.

9. Mikhail Shurygin 3 years ago
  10. Jake G!!! 3 years ago

Promised Land trailer is out.

11. The Pope 3 years ago

1) The Coens did not direct this… for a reason.

2) The script had been knocking around for years… for a reason.

3) This film has no US release date… for a reason.

4) CBS Films are handling… for a reason.

For all those reasons, there is no need to see the film.

12. Friedl 3 years ago

Agreed. Three pants-free jokes too many.