Deadline Gets Ready to Launch Site with Oxymoron, “Awards Intelligence”

Every time one of these erupts God punches a kitten in the face.  I suspect it will be similar to the LA Times, the New York Times and various other sites that cover Oscar news.  So, get ready Oscar watchers.  Here comes another one.

AwardsDaily’s saying has long been “covering the Oscar race 24/7” but we expect others to steal from us – that’s how it goes in the blog eat blog world of Oscar coverage. But they’re planning to also call their sight “Awards Intelligence” – which  is, come on, a bit silly. Most would agree there is nothing intelligent about awards coverage.  The awards coverage is competitive because of one reason and one reason only: ad money. Very few of us are out here because we actually care about how the Oscar race turns out. You can tell the difference by those who were out here doing it long before they ever got paid to do it.  I’ve been doing it since 1999, when Tom O’Neil and I were the only ones covering it year round. Lots of great sites have come and gone since – Fennec, Zeusefer, Alex Fung — but few of us have the stomach for it to last.

1. Bob Burns 3 years ago

That is so funny – sitting in an airport drinking – and you hit the mark. Thank you!

2. Jerry 3 years ago

They cover the awards race year round on the regular Deadline site anyway. It’s a waste to create a whole new site just for this.

3. Five Easy Pieces 3 years ago

The site is not being called Awards Intelligence, it is being called Awards/Line, like Deadline or its sister site TV/Line. The phrase “Awards intelligence 24/7” is apparantly their slogan, or something.

4. Max G 3 years ago

Well it seems to be someone with background knowledge. Do you happen to know the creators, Sasha?

On a side note, I have been reading AD for four years now, not gonna switch.

5. Tufas 3 years ago

Hands up who has been here since this was OscarWatch!

6. steve50 3 years ago

Let ’em give it a shot and see how they handle the trolls. The best site for this has nothing to worry about, Sasha.

Does “intelligence” mean they have AMPAS moles in trenchcoats? Or is it a general misnomer?

7. Antoinette 3 years ago

I’m guessing it’ll be just news items not really prognosticating. You know, more gossipy.

8. Pete 3 years ago

Since Nikki has gone full Drudge/Breitbart lately, my hopes are low for that venture.

9. Adam 3 years ago

Don’t worry Sasha, I will never leave you. 😉

10. David 3 years ago

[I continue to prove myself as an asshole, which is why my comments will never appear]

11. Stephen Holt 3 years ago

I’ve been predicting the Oscars since I was a little kid in the Bronx. I would write up these charts and my audience was my ever-appreciative little brother.

My TV show is now nearly the 25 year mark(on Dec.8)and I always did Oscar predictions(and Tony predictions) every year. Year in and year out. And no, I don’t get paid for any of this. I have no ads anywhere. I do it because I LOVE IT. And am genuinely obsessed with the Oscar race. As Tom O. is.

And yes, I’ve been here since Oscarwatch. And yes, Sasha IS the Oscar Goddess. Long many she reign.

12. Cinesnatch 3 years ago

Nikki Fink got scooped by MovieHole by a day the other day on a casting announcement and falsely advertised that the reviews for Tyler Perry in Alex Cross were “pretty good” (i.e. DL’s Pete Hammond was the only critic who gave Alex Cross a fresh rating on RT in the initial collection of reviews) the day the sequel was announced right before it opened.

13. Joao Mattos 3 years ago

“I’ve been doing it since 1999, when Tom O’Neil and I were the only ones covering it year round. Lots of great sites have come and gone since – Fennec, Zeusefer, Alex Fung”.

It’s true. I discovered Oscarwatch through Alex Fung site.

14. KatiO 3 years ago

Over the years there have been so many blogs but this is the only one that stays. Good work, the best!

Yours truly, Oscarwatch/Awardsdaily reader since 2000

15. James 3 years ago

Those here with movie websites of their own: “OUCH!”

16. JJ Jones 3 years ago

I have only one site I follow for the “Oscar Watch”.

17. RGM 3 years ago

What’s funny about the stealing is that Nikki Finke loves saying that Variety and Hollywood Reporter steal from them all the time. Whatever, this site will always be its own thing, just like InContention and Goldderby and Hollywood-Elsewhere, etc are their own thing. I think you’ve developed such an interesting website over the years (I think I was 17 when I started following you and now I’m 26!) that whatever they call it won’t make a difference. Besides, where else can you find a feminist, race-conscious Oscar blog? I doubt Deadline will be the one to provide us with the alternative, not that we’re looking for one anyway.