Coke Classic is Back

We’re tinkering with a few different options for redesign and you just lived through one of them. Aren’t you proud of yourself for that? We have a couple more to try out on you until we settle on one, including maybe having a professional give it a whirl. We know there are specific things we […]

We’re tinkering with a few different options for redesign and you just lived through one of them. Aren’t you proud of yourself for that? We have a couple more to try out on you until we settle on one, including maybe having a professional give it a whirl. We know there are specific things we like and need. So hopefully we’ll find a way to have the best of all possible worlds. But in the meantime, back to “normal.”

You may also like

1. filmboymichael 2 years ago

look forward to the next go round. I like bright, shiny new things.

2. Colin Biggs 2 years ago

Hope comments were useful, best of luck in your decision.

3. Ryan Adams 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, gang — we’re dialing back to Classic Coke for now while we consider various options

“a lot of unnecessary clicking to get to stories”

One click? One click to branch off the beaten track and explore whole new realms of fun stuff. *sigh*

This is why we can’t have nice things.

4. Rob Y 2 years ago

I like simplicity in websites. If I have to go hunting all over hell to find what I am looking for I am less likely to return. The version you just used was like that. Now once I see where the new material is, yes it will be easy to find.

5. JohnOliver46 2 years ago

The new design took me by surprise. I was lost. Don’t get me wrong, I love change, but keep it simple.

6. cineJAB 2 years ago

…one extra click is too many clicks in terms of the internet in 2013. I hope you can understand I was only trying to provide constructive feedback.

7. FelipeMejia 2 years ago

This version is better. The first one was a little over the place and made some stories randomly appear more important or accesible than others. :-)

8. Max G 2 years ago

At first I didn’t notice, because I thought I was on THR.

9. JulieF 2 years ago

I like this one way better.

10. Paddy Mulholland 2 years ago

The new one was pretty, but a little confusing. But I take a long time to adjust to things cos I’m a fully-fledged spas, so I was willing to stick with it. I’ll be thrown by any changes y’all make, so make as many as you like!

This is my first comment since the Oscars. That night is gradually receding from my memory.

11. rufussondheim 2 years ago

Yeah, I hated the recent design.

What I’d really love in a design is if when you click on an article and are down in the comments section you get a list of the (about) ten most recent commented on articles. Maybe at the very bottom of the page beneath the comments box.

Not the most recent ten comments, but the ten most commented upon articles. I think this would be a great way of keeping some conversations last a little longer as the articles get pushed down the page, and it might allow some threads to get resurrected if a person googles an article that’s been out of action for a bit and then chooses to comment upon it.

If you could do something like this, it would prevent many of us from constantly going back to the main page and clicking over and over again on articles to see if people have commented on them.

12. danemychal 2 years ago

As long as your redesign doesn’t require you to click 15+ times to get through a story (like Hitfix and many many others do now), I’m good.

13. Five Easy Pieces 2 years ago

Maybe I’m a creature of habit but I found the redesign a bit disorienting and welcome back the old look. Change is hard.

14. Scott 2 years ago

Granted I don’t like change but the new site seemed a bit scattered and confusing for me. More like an EW website. I like the simplicity of the freshest ariticle top and spotlit and the past articles in sequence beneath.

I do like the Chinatown line. A lot. Very appropriate particularly with Sasha’s disenchantment with the Academy voters.

Another line_ It’s going to be a bumpy ride…

15. Danny 2 years ago

Wow that design was really bad. I just wanted to leave and never come back. Thankfully I did. It’s ok to have different sections off to the side, but PLEASE keep all news headlines in an easy to scroll-down main column.

16. Amy 2 years ago

Oh thank god this is back.

17. david 2 years ago

I love the site the way it is but sometimes change is good now everybody go see dead man down!!!!!!!!:)

18. AnthonyP 2 years ago

I think “change is good” is overplayed. Either something works or not.
    That site you had up yesterday was a clusterf%&k.
    There’s a reason Classic Coke came back. (Although Mexican Coke is better – real sugar flavor!)

19. Robin Write 2 years ago

To sum up.

The old version was a chronological list, easy to keep track of and up to date with. When I am busy and I go back to the site and I just scroll away and open articles I have missed in new tabs like a crazy person – and then read!

The new version I looked at yesterday, and to be honest it was like looking at a apartment block where, say, a friend lived, but just was not sure which apartment they lived in. A maze if you like. Which I am sure I can find my way around eventually…

20. Robin Write 2 years ago

**Sorry wrote wrong email – d’oh!**

To sum up.

21. Asif Khan 2 years ago

The new design was a bit confusing, i had to look around for a while to figure out your new posts….

but hey i love change but whichever design you guys pick up, it should be a bit simple.

22. rufussondheim 2 years ago

If you want a good website that’s a bit in between the classic and the new, check out slate.com. I really like their current design, the top has some new and exciting articles they want to highlight as they seem the most broadly appealing, but if you scroll down you get a chronological list, which includes the articles from the top of the page.

It’s a great design, in my opinion, because it hooks you right when you load up the page but then it makes it easy to find everything that’s been posted since you last visited the page (I don’t do comments on that site though.) The website is so well run now that it’s become my first source for news and newsy entertainment.

23. CMG 2 years ago

I wasn’t personally bothered by the change but the lack of activity among other users hampered me from looking through the site as often as I often come for the conversations.

24. TB 2 years ago

I really liked the new look. Except the year 2013/2014 below Awards Daily. I feel that is unnecessary. We know what year we are in, well… I hope we do.

Looking forward to the new look.

25. Bryce Forestieri 2 years ago

Did CLUELESS make it into your 1995 top 10? Cos if it didn’t you’re an asshole.

26. GL 2 years ago

I enjoyed the redesign actually. I thought it added another level of insight to the website. It felt more professional in terms of competing with other film blogs such as THR. I also see what you guys are trying to accomplish by making different sections of the website more available. I think that’s a great idea, especially the creation of the TV branch. If you guys are hiring contributors for that position I would love to apply =)

27. Watermelons 2 years ago

I cannot help but wonder what the world of Web Design would be like if it had been influenced less by the aesthetic reasoning of Facebook, Twitter, and AOL and more by Oscar-winning immortal presence of the silver screen Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sense and Sensibility)?? Consider the nontraditional options for navigating and coding the Webspace.

28. Phil Boroff 2 years ago

I like this one much better. It is so much easier to navigate. With this one, you do not need to search through the page, just scroll down. I really like the” 2013 Contenders So Far” at the right side of the page, rather than down at the bottom as it was on the “new” design.

I was ready to quit coming to the site (until next year, to see what was going on!), but this reverses my dislike of the “new” design, and, if it stays, I will be returning often..

29. Bob in Vegas 2 years ago

Thanks for the return to “normal.”

Unless it’s needed (and I liked/like AD this way), I agree with the maxim, “No one likes change except a wet baby.”

30. Christophe 2 years ago

i’m glad you’re back to basics, i thought you’d been hacked.

31. Jack Traven II 2 years ago

How ironic.

Most of the commenters above don’t like (the) change (oh my god! call the cops. something has changed out there. ;-)).

But they want films that are challenging, different, mind-boggling, new. Gee, they (probably) even want the Academy to change. And they want the world to change for the better – at least I hope. But this site? No way.

No way? C’mon!

32. julian the emperor 2 years ago

I second Rufus’ comment!

Watermelons: Never been a big fan of your Winslet obsession. Could you maybe restrict your schtick to issues about actresses in general or Winslet in particular? Too much of a good thing kills off the fun, you know.

33. Ryan Adams 2 years ago

Never been a big fan of your Winslet obsession.

I am. I’m a big fan.

Watermelons, I know this now puts you in the awkward position of deciding whether to make julian the emperor happy or instead continue to make me happy.

Pressure! Or else, hey, you can just do whatever makes yourself happy.

34. BenG 2 years ago

The last version looked nice but lord was it confusing to navigate. Good luck with finding the right look! :)

35. Steve50 2 years ago

The only thing more refreshing than the gifted and dynamic Ms Winslet (or the mention of her) is, let’s see – watermelon!

I am another who looks forward to seeing how Kate W will make her way into my day.

36. Watermelons 2 years ago

Or else, hey, you can just do whatever makes yourself happy.

*pops in one of my three Blu-ray Discs of Kate Winslet’s The Holiday*

37. julian the emperor 2 years ago

Oh, I am not fooling myself into thinking that I can stop watermelons from pursuing his silly pastime. I would probably miss being annoyed by it, if we were to quit it. Which is a luxury of sorts.

38. julian the emperor 2 years ago