Robert Downey, Jr. on Winning an Oscar

robert-downey-jr-covers-gq-may-2013-01

A healthy perspective from the actor in GQ magazine, via JustJared:

On the inevitability of his winning an Oscar: “I, personally, would be shocked if we went to the end of the tape now and I didn’t have at least one. …Because I’m young enough, and I’m running down being occupied with these kind of genre movies, close enough. Even the next thing we’re doing with [my wife], I’m so confident about it. It’s the best script the studio has; it’s the best thing I’ve read in years. You know, honestly, my real answer to that is: I don’t care. I used to think I cared, and I couldn’t care less. Now, I’m not saying I wouldn’t get a little choked up, but it is amazing to see how people are literally hyperventilating when they get up there, because they have such an attachment to this outcome. I mean, it’s not like we’re at the f–king Olympics or something. …Look, even if I don’t get one directly, eventually they’re just going to have to give me one when I get old. So no matter how you slice it, I’m getting one.”

1. David 2 years ago

Ain’t ever gonna happen dude….

2. Paddy Mulholland 2 years ago

It’s surprisingly easy to dislike someone even when they’re right. Maybe I dislike him because he’s right.

3. Gerold 2 years ago

hmmmm, he may get one for a film one day but not so sure about a lifetime achievement or something like that. He’s certainly not inevitable, and the Avengers 4, Ironman 7, and Sherlock Holmes 5 are surely not going to do the trick.

4. GoOnNow 2 years ago

hahahz, that’s funny, but he is right, isn’t he?

I love it how completely certain he is of his talents + the way in which the Academy works + the way his career will flourish.

And he has 2 nominations already. Should he score 2 more before retirement, he is getting the lifetime achievement Oscar for sure.

Unless he dies too soon.

5. The Jack 2 years ago

Why would he get a lifetime achievement Oscar?

6. smoothcriminal 2 years ago

I could totally see him getting one for a meaty “old man” role in a decade or so, much like Clooney.

7. Paddy Mulholland 2 years ago

Remember when he won a Golden Globe for Sherlock Holmes?

Ew ew ew ew ew.

And I actually quite enjoyed that film.

8. CMG 2 years ago

His best work was Wonder Boys and Fur, but both were more of a supporting role and also in a period where he was not the actor easiest to higher due to insurance at the time.

Also, I am surprised he has not done a movie musical.

9. SeattleMoviegoer 2 years ago

when i hear remarks like his, it makes me feel ok about being a person of limited self-esteem.

10. Gerold 2 years ago

ha! I had forgotten that he won a globe for that. typical globes. and yes I enjoyed the first Sherlock as well.

11. Vince Smetana 2 years ago

You don’t know how to read the tea leaves, do you?

12. Vince Smetana 2 years ago

That quote was also taken out of context and AD would have been better off to have extracted the exchange from the original source. The elipses skip over parts, including the actual interviewer perspective comments and questions, thereby interrupting the flow of the piece.

He also said this at the end:

“”No, I should probably have more. But zero’s fine.” The humility sits there alone for a moment, just long enough to get lonely. “Zero, or two.””

Downey has been around long enough, is talented enough, and has achieved commercial success that is now unusual in this business, that I too would be surprised if the right role didn’t come around ten or twenty years down the line and get Downey the industry’s highest form of approval. One might also prophesy this for Johnny Depp (who seems less concerned presently).

Does he come across as arrogant? Perhaps. But, he also keeps himself in check. He responded to the interviewers questions in the charming way that Downey has come to be known for. Is Downey full of himself? Yes. But, he can back his sh!t up with raw talent.

13. keifer 2 years ago

I usually refrain from doing this because it has landed me in hot water before . . . but I have to correct your spelling here.

I’m sure you meant “hire” (not “higher”).

Then again, I guess you could be talking about his heroin days.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

14. Jase 2 years ago

I know he’s popular in hipster circles, but he always comes across as a giant douche-nozzle to me. Smug and unwilling to act his age. And actually the hipster cred makes him even more insufferable.

15. glimmer 2 years ago

could his cred on a.d. kick the insufferable thing up a few notches ???

speak jase,speak…

16. JaseDoesNotKnowWhatHeIsTalkingAbout 2 years ago

“Hipster cred?” What on earth are you talking about? His roles and the films are as far from “hipster” as Mitt Romeny hanging with Meatloaf. He is in big-budget STUDIO pictures…

17. JohnOliver 2 years ago

Robert is a very talented actor and I expect him to win an Oscar someday.
    He just said what most actors feel.
    I wish him luck.

18. Jay 2 years ago

I think he’s confusing himself with Leonardo DiCaprio.

19. Zach 2 years ago

I’ve thought of him getting a lifetime Oscar if a competitive one isn’t on the horizon. He certainly isn’t going anywhere. However, I’d think this response less douchy if it came from Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and even Tom Cruise and Will Smith. Leo is younger, but obviously he too seems higher on the list of most likely or most overdue or most worthy of a life achievement award. Downey isn’t there yet, though he could easily win on his next nomination.

20. Bryce Forestieri 2 years ago

Are people taking this serious? Please learn to read. In any case he’s mostly right about everything. He’s done with superhero movies after Avengers 2 (Phase II ends). If he goes back to making “serious” shit I’m confident at the very least there are multiple nominations in his future. And he’s not even my favorite Avenger.

21. Bryce Forestieri 2 years ago

Agreed

22. Bryce Forestieri 2 years ago

Fucking loved him in TROPIC THUNDER, but I’m sure a lot of people on here thought that was racist or something.

23. CMG 2 years ago

Ooof! Yeah, that was a mistake.

24. daveinprogress 2 years ago

I’ve never really considered his chances of winning an Oscar. But i suspect if he gives a strong performance in an Oscar season movie, the narrative will be strong for him ala Christian Bale. He was wonderful in Chaplin, but his choices generally don’t lead him up the Academy’s path. And a lifetime or career Oscar? There’s about a hundred people in front of him, at least!

25. Jase 2 years ago

Hipsters love him. Trust me. I’ve been to Williamsburg.

26. SallyinChicago 2 years ago

His last Oscar nom was a comedy, Tropic Thunder, so he got close and I think he should have won. He was tremendously HILARIOUS. And if he went back to making Good comedy like that, he could very well win.

27. Evelyn Garver 2 years ago

I never understood all the enthusiasm for Downey until ZODIAC and TROPIC THUNDER [for which he did deserve an Oscar].

28. JaseDoesNotKnowWhatHeIsTalkingAbout 2 years ago

OHHH!!!! You’ve been to Williamsburg… I am sorry, I take everything I said back… Clearly you are a Hipster Culture Queen!

29. Lauren 2 years ago

I do not put much emphasis on how Robert Downey
    interviews. I think he just likes to play. What I do think
    and experience is that he is a brilliant, multi talented
    actor who is a SURVIVOR. He has come thru some
    life threatening afflictions and his acting creativity
    is brilliant. He may or may not get an Oscar. I hope he
    does yet many do not who should and others get it who
    may not deserve it. Of course, this is only my subjective p0oint but for me, Downey always surprises,
    delivers and is just naturally gifted. He is one of my
    favorites and along with his talented producer wife,
    the best work is yet to come, hopefully.

30. himynameiscole 2 years ago

lol

31. keifer 2 years ago

It’s pointless to discuss his Oscar chances.

He has yet to get that Oscar-worthy role (came close with “Chaplin”).

Some actors never get another chance.

He’s a good actor. But Oscar always goes to something special (or SHOULD), and he’s going to have to take on one helluva role to show off his talents.

So far, he’s doing action flicks, which just don’t cut it at Oscar time. Just ask Harrison Ford, Bruce Willis, Daniel Craig, et al.

32. Passport Stamps 2 years ago

You always seem personally offended by opinions that vary from yours, always. A word of advice: RELAX.

33. Passport Stamps 2 years ago

A referencial black face performance was the deserving winner? Really…

34. eclipse22 2 years ago

hmm was a bit curious as to what goes on here after the hazing season that is the awards circus and if people go back to being normal

ps : seems the site got an overhaul, not bad ! i might come back tomorrow check some more , maybe check the article on before midnight film , i still remember how mad i was for before sunrise so many years ago