Trailer for Saving Mr. Banks, Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson

image002

Emma Thompson plays P.L. Travers, the woman who penned what would ultimately become Disney’s Mary Poppins. Read the New Yorker article about her here.

1. JamDenTel 2 years ago

HYDE PARK ON HUDSON meets MY WEEK WITH MARILYN. And like those two films, I doubt this will go very far at the Oscars.

2. Chistophe 2 years ago

Oscar producers can alreay book Julie Andrews and Dik van Dyke to present Best Picture, it’s in the bag! in the magic carpet bag!

3. julian the emperor 2 years ago

4. Bryce Forestieri 2 years ago

Except I hate hate hate those two films. Don’t forget HITCHCOCK

I doubt this will go very far at the Oscars.

From your lips to God. 1 nomination for Thompson if anything.

5. Bryce Forestieri 2 years ago

Best Picture? This? Did you just have mushrooms for lunch?

6. JamDenTel 2 years ago

Oh yeah, HITCHCOCK! The movie that made Anthony Hopkins look less like Alfred Hitchcock than he already did!

7. Chistophe 2 years ago

Either BP or In Memoriam, FYI same time last year I was predicting a Les Mis sweep so…

8. Jordan 2 years ago

You guys are dismissing this far too quickly. The script, which made The Black List a few years back, is absolutely sensational. The trailer is playing it up like a comedy, but the believe me, the script is absolutely stellar. I can definitely see this being a frontrunner in many categories, and Thompson’s part is especially meaty.

9. Clayton Walter 2 years ago

Love everything about this trailer. Regardless of it makes it to the Oscars, I think this’ll be one of the highlights of the season.

10. Winston 2 years ago

Based on this trailer, this looks really FLUFFY!!!

11. FiveEasyPieces 2 years ago

Ugh. I need an insulin shot after this trailer.

12. Radich 2 years ago

Cute. It looks nice for a rainy Sunday afternoon, but I doubt I will be running to see this one at the movie theater.

13. Devon 2 years ago

I pray now for any good movie.

14. Danny 2 years ago

The Trailer seems to be more sugarcoated than the movie will likely be, especially in the last third (of both trailer and movie). I’ve read about the history of Travers and the movie adaptation. She ultimately hated the movie, so the end of this film is likely to be bittersweet at best (even if the trailer suggests otherwise).

And what a cast! Did you catch some of the supporting players? Jason Schwartzman and the guy from The Office as the Sherman Bros. Rachel Griffifths as the “real” Mary Poppins. Bradley Whitfield. Paul Giamatti. And is that David Thewlis as Travers’ publisher or lawyer?

Subject matter and cast alone have me sold. Totally seeing this.

15. Bball_Jake 2 years ago

Tom Hanks is really miscast here. I think Robert De Niro, Jack Nicholson, Hugh Jackman, George Clooney, Christoph Waltz, Robert Downy Jr., Russell Crowe, or Kevin Spacey. Someone else besides Tom Hanks!!!

16. Chance 2 years ago

Emma Thompson as lead is always a YES for me. Hopefully she stars in that I Am Legend prequel.

17. The Pope 2 years ago

The final product will have to have charm, but for now the trailer is very, very engaging. The thing about so many Hollywood films is that they think that charm is something you do in post-production (soundtrack and special effects) when in actual fact it’s in performances and ‘in-camera’.

I think Hanks and Thompson will charm.

18. Chris Price 2 years ago

Having already seen this movie, I can say with absolute certainty that this is a LOCK for a Best Picture nod this year, without a doubt. Emma’s getting a nod for sure as well. Mark my words and bide your time, this movie will clean up.

19. John 2 years ago

Agreed. Looks enchanting. Though, I am also getting a solid Golden Globe vibe, moreso than Oscar.

20. Stephen Holt 2 years ago

Being diabetic, that trailer was dangerous to watch…’50s Disney pablum…LOVED “The Wonderful World of Disney” when I was FIVE…can’t imagine even a sharp script saving this. But that New Yorker article was a WOW. Now if the movie is like that article…

21. GoOnNow 2 years ago

1st clip of Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”:

Yayyy :)

22. Cyrus 2 years ago

Thank you for that clip of Blue Jasmine!! I think they should post this on the main page because Cate Blanchett looks way too good in this film. Let’s hope she finally gets that deserved Best Actress Oscar!!

23. GoOnNow 2 years ago

Agreed, she owns the scene and I love it how it plays entirely on her.

24. Loud Diamond Phillips 2 years ago

Looks awful. And anything made by Disney should be avoided.

25. Mirko 2 years ago

Great film and great actor. I hope nomination Oscar for Emma Thompson, P. L. Travers special.

26. Manuel 2 years ago

Emma looks good here, but Im not gonna watch this one. Purely because of Hanks. I just cannot stand that guy. Stanley Tucci should have been cast as Walt Disney

27. Mirko 2 years ago

They say that Cate Blancett in nomination and Winner Oscar. Tom Hanks is strong contender for Saving Mr Banks. Ok, I am to agree for Blanchett and Hanks. But in category actress in a leading it’ not can to fail the nomination for Emma Thompson, It’s absurd if she not there is.