2014 Cannes Jury Announced

(thanks to Paddy at screenonscreen)

• Jane Campion – (Sweetie, The Piano, Bright Star) 9th female jury president in Cannes’ 67 year history.
  • Carole Bouquet – (That Obscure Object of Desire, Day of the Idiots, Too Beautiful for You)
  • Sofia Coppola – (Lost in Translation, The Virgin Suicides, Marie Antoinette) First came to Cannes with her father to premiere Apocalypse Now — when she was 8 years old.
  • Willem Dafoe – (Platoon, The Last Temptation of Christ, Heaven’s Gate)
  • Gael Garcia Bernal – (Amores Perros, The Motorcycle Diaries, Y Tu Mamá También)
  • Leila Hatami – (A Separation, Leila, The Last Step)
  • Jeon Do Yeon – (The Housemaid, Secret Sunshine, Untold Scandal)
  • Jia Zhang Ke – (Unknown Pleasures, 24 City, A Touch of Sin)
  • Nicolas Winding Refn – (Drive, Pusher, Bronson)

1. Christophe 1 year ago

Carole Bouquet was also a James Bond girl in the early 80’s (For Your Eyes Only). That to me is more impressive than all those boring French films!

2. Paddy Mulholland 1 year ago

Christophe you had better be taking the piss…

3. tintin 1 year ago

Mmm…not an impressive jury.

4. ubourgeois 1 year ago

Ahh, part of me wishes Dafoe or Coppola were swapped out for someone else, so we could get an entirely international Jury. Those are always fun. Oh well, that’s minor.

We have a very interesting – dare I say edgy? – jury on our hands this year. They’ll probably go for something not so obvious, so probably no Palme for Mr. Turner or Two Days, One Night or anything like that. Not that I don’t think those will be good or interesting films, I just see a jury like this swinging more towards something exciting – maybe this will be Godard’s year? Then again, who would have expected a Spielberg-led jury to pick Blue? This is just idle speculation.

5. Bryce Forestieri 1 year ago

Looks anti-American

Hope I’m wrong

Refn has great taste though; a child of the American cinema of the 80’s.

6. Igor Sousa 1 year ago

anti-American?????

Because there are only two American on it or because there are an Iranian woman and a Chinese man?!!

I liked a lot the jury, specially because of the majority of women in it and also it’s a really ecletic one. I have no idea what way they are getting into

7. Chris Price 1 year ago

8. Alan of Montreal 1 year ago

I think this jury works in Cronenberg’s favour, actually.

9. menyc 1 year ago

I don’t see anti-American. I see pro-International.