Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini in The Drop

Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini and Noomi Rapace star in The Drop, based on a tale by Dennis Lehane called “Animal Rescue” that appears in the short story collection Boston Noir. A couple of years ago Neil Burger was set to direct but then Michaël R. Roskam took the reins — the Belgian director of Bullhead […]

the drop

Tom Hardy, James Gandolfini and Noomi Rapace star in The Drop, based on a tale by Dennis Lehane called “Animal Rescue” that appears in the short story collection Boston Noir. A couple of years ago Neil Burger was set to direct but then Michaël R. Roskam took the reins — the Belgian director of Bullhead and Carlo. The trailer lays out the plot pretty clearly so no need for a synopsis. This looks terrific.

1. Igor Sousa 1 year ago

Bullhead is a really good one. Let’s wait for it.

2. w.j. 1 year ago

Looks like Hardy is going to have an outstanding year. Is it too soon to put him on the Best Actor list for LOCKE? He’s getting rave reviews.

3. murtaza 1 year ago

the reviews really are extraordinary for Hardy in Locke.

4. SallyinChicago 1 year ago

This looks good.

Off topic: Lupita may have a part in the Jungle Book.

5. Igor Sousa 1 year ago

Denis Lehane is one of the writers who have the best film adaptations. It looks good but Tom Hardy’s accent looks kinda strange, doesn’t it?

6. Koleś 1 year ago

I hate to say it, but this looks like another generic Boston crime drama.

7. Bryce Forestieri 1 year ago

Hmm are we sure this is Boston?

8. Ryan Adams 1 year ago

The first two words spoken out loud in the trailer are: “In Brooklyn…”

anyway, I wish we could have a Boston crime thriller every year.

Mystic River
    Gone Baby Gone
    The Town
    The Friends of Eddie Coyle
    Shutter Island
    The Departed
    The Verdict
    The Brink’s Job
    The Boston Strangler

Yes, please. More Boston crime thrillers like that, please.

Koleś, I understand that someone might feel the atmosphere looks familiar. But I’m trying to think of some cookie-cutter generic Boston crime movies… I can’t come up with any titles.

9. Al Robinson 1 year ago

How about The Boondock Saints, The Thomas Crown Affair (1968), and Monument Ave.

10. Bryce Forestieri 1 year ago

” Bryce Forestieri April 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm

OT: James Gandolfini’s last performance and Tom Hardy’s Brooklyn accent featured in the promising trailer for BULLHEAD director Michaël R. Roskam’s sophomore effort, THE DROP!

This is what happens when you guys don’t carefully examine my every post!

#jk

11. Al Robinson 1 year ago

Hell, what about Blown Away?

12. Ryan Adams 1 year ago

ack, I swear to god I had The Thomas Crown Affair on the list, but I must’ve deleted it.

Monument Ave…. um, I guess I need to see that.

13. Al Robinson 1 year ago

“Boondock Saints is a guilty pleasure — but I didn’t want to get embroiled in a fight about its worthiness.”

Ryan, to use your word, “ack”, are there people out there who think it’s not a good movie?

I haven’t seen Monument Ave. either, but I found it on an online list of “Best Boston Crime Movies”.

14. Al Robinson 1 year ago

OT: Is this newsworthy? http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57117784/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

Either way it’s sad.

15. Kane 1 year ago

Al, I used to love Boondock Saints when I was in high school and before I went to film school. Then I watched it after I graduated film school. I took film way too seriously again, there was like a 2 year stretch of that before I lightened up again, I was taught to analyze everything. Basically film school ruined Boondock Saints for me. I pointed out so many flaws and it was worse than I remember but I still find things to love about it, mainly Willem Dafoe who, in my mind, must have one of the most fun careers of any actor. Boondock Saints II…nothing much to love at all. But I have grown friends who swear by those movies as if worshipping them is the cool thing to do.

Ryan, was The Verdict a crime thriller? I haven’t seen it in years and I thought it was a legal drama. Also, What Doesn’t Kill You was pretty decent.

16. Ryan Adams 1 year ago

Kane, you’re right to point out that The Verdict is a case of “one of these things is not like the others.” Strictly speaking, The Verdict is a courtroom drama. There was crime, but the crime was medical malpractice. The thriller part, for me, is simply everything about the thrilling way it was was written, directed and acted. I included it because it’s infused with the same gritty settings and down-on-its-heels atmosphere Sidney Lumet has used in other crime films. To me, it’s a courtroom drama that looks like a crime thriller.

I’m glad you understand how Boondock Saints is guilty pleasure. Makes me feel less guilty.

17. Kane 1 year ago

Ryan, fair enough. I do get thrills out of courtroom dramas.

I could probably write a book about how Boondock Saints is a guilty pleasure and point out flaws. I find it’s probably the one film I can criticize/critique the most because there hasn’t been any other film out there that made me go, “Wow…how did I ever see this as art?” I mean sure, some films I’ll love/hate less, love/hate more over time but how often do you pause a movie to truly analyze your past feelings of a movie and go…”What the fuck?” When I first saw it at maybe 15 I treated it like the 2nd coming of Tarantino. Someone on the web said that revisiting things that were held together by nostalgia is a dangerous thing to do.

18. Al Robinson 1 year ago

Kane, Ryan,

I gotcha. I have only seen The Boondock Saints once, and I of course hadn’t noticed any flaws. My memory of that movie is tied to my friend who moved out of state. That movie came out when we were in the 12th grade, and we had some time during the school lunch-hour to walk over to my house and watch movies. We’d have to watch them so many minutes at a time, and some movies would take up to a week to watch, but we’d watch them. The Boondock Saints was one of them. He was also the first friend to introduce me to Alien, Saving Private Ryan, and Better Off Dead.