Best Films with Zero Oscar Nominations

My Facebook friend (#humblebrag) and one of my favorite film directors Rod Lurie recently posted the following status update:

[Redacted, how much he loved Joe Carnahan’s film The Grey] “If I had been a critic when that film came out I would have pounded the Academy into submission. I swear I would have. Indeed, without hyperbole, it’s the greatest American film ever made that doesn’t have a single Oscar nomination. Am I right?”

While I agree with him that The Grey is indeed underrated and transcends the box the critics wanted to put it in, it will have to take its place in line behind many greater films that received no Oscar nominations. Several of these American films were made by directors who weren’t well known. For some of them, though, there is no excuse — Here is our list:

1. Touch of Evil (Welles)
2. Stardust Memories (Allen)
3. The Killing (Kubrick)
4. The Searchers (Ford)
5. Mean Streets (Scorsese)
6. Zodiac (Fincher)
7. Miller’s Crossing (Coens)
8. Reservoir Dogs (Tarantino)
9. Blood Simple (Coens)
10. The Big Sleep (Hawks)
11. The Big Lebowski (Coens)
12. This is Spinal Tap (Reiner)
13. Harold and Maude (Ashby)
14. The Shining (Kubrick)
15. Cloud Atlas (Wachowskis)
16. Bringing Up Baby (Hawks)
17. Badlads (Malick)
18. Say Anything (Crowe)
19. His Girl Friday (Hawks)
20. Three Kings (Russell)
21. Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick)
22. The Ice Storm (Lee)
23. Groundhog Day (Ramis)
24. Shame (McQueen)

And a few famous non-American films:

The Rules of the Game (Renoir)
Don’t Look Now (Roeg)
Wings of Desire (Wenders)
Persona (Bergman)
Jules and Jim (Truffaut)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Weir)
Sweetie (Jane Campion)
An Angel at My Table (Jane Campion)

1. keifer 1 year ago

I really agree with you about “Miller’s Crossing”. It’s amazing that it wasn’t nominated . . . for anything? John Turturro’s performance, at least, should have received a BSA nod, as well as Marcia Gay Harden (her film debut, I believe). She was terrific in that movie! It made her a star.

I’ll add another one to the list (one of my favorite movies of the last 20 years). I think Sidney Lumet’s last film, “Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead” is also a movie that should have been nominated in multiple categories. It contains my favorite performance from one of my favorite actors: Philip Seymour Hoffman. BEST ACTOR in this movie. What was the Academy thinking?

2. Zach Baum 1 year ago

No Cloud Atlas? I would rather watch that than Three Kings and that is my favorite O’russell

3. Hawkeye 1 year ago

I would certainly have to agree with Cloud Atlas. Truly one of the biggest oversights of the last few years.

As for the list above, I do agree with some of them (The Shining, Reservoir Dogs, The Searchers), but a few of them are not surprising at all.

On a sidenote, Three Colors not being nominated for any Oscars is not entirely accurate. Red was nominated for three (Director, Original Screenplay, and Cinematography).

4. Sasha Stone 1 year ago

Thanks Hawkeye! And yes, I agree about Cloud Atlas, will add.

5. Chris 1 year ago

What about “Night of the Hunter”? One of the best films ever, IMHO.

6. moviewatcher 1 year ago

Love the Cloud Atlas mention! Also love seeing Stardust Memories so high because that really is one of Woody Allen’s masterpieces.

I’d say Charlie Kaufman’s “Synecdoche, New York”, Linklater’s “Waking Life” definitely belongs on the list. “The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp” and “Paris, Texas” might not be considered american but they didn’t get a single oscar nom despite being in english and having pretty high profiles in their years. “Before Sunrise” would be a worthy candidate too.

7. Al Robinson 1 year ago

Just from last year, I would say Rush was worthy of at least 1 Oscar nomination. Then again, here’s the ones I would have nominated Rush for:

Best Picture
    Best Supporting Actor – Daniel Bruhl
    Best Cinematography – Anthony Dod Mantle
    Best Editing – Daniel P. Hanley, Mike Hill

8. Al Robinson 1 year ago

Plus, I think there is a lot of foreign love for The Intouchables from France.

9. Rob Y 1 year ago

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover for costumes and set design alone.

10. Ryan Shaver 1 year ago

Great post Sasha! It’s shocking to comb through this list and realize they have zero cumulative nominations. It’s not exactly part of the legendary foreign film canon (yet), but Joachim Trier’s “Oslo, August 31st” might one day qualify for your non-American film section.

11. steve50 1 year ago

I have to add these:
    1. Hunger
    2. Thieves Like Us
    3. Flash of Green
    4. Fish Tank
    5. Wendy and Lucy
    6. Drive
    7. Star 80
    8. Medium Cool
    9. Naked
    10. Billy Liar

Each of these had at least one Oscar-worthy performance and/or unique direction/script)
    (Eng language only, off the top of my head. The FLF list is way too long)

12. Sean Troutman 1 year ago

If I had to make a Top 15 it might look something like this:

1. King Kong (1933)
    2. Frankenstein (1931)
    3. Duck Soup (1933)
    4. City Lights (1931)
    5. Modern Times (1936)
    6. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
    7. The Searchers (1956)
    8. Halloween (1978)
    9. The Thing (1982)
    10. Dracula (1931)
    11. Kill Bill: Volume Two (2004)
    12. Clerks (1994)
    13. Kill Bill: Volume One (2003)
    14. The Killing (1956)
    15. Once Upon a Time in the West (1969)

The best movie last year that wasn’t up for anything was Frances Ha. Other recent films include The Butler, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Looper, and X-Men: First Class.

13. keifer 1 year ago

I have to add NICOLAS WINDING REFN’s “DRIVE”.

It should have at least scored nominations for Director, Cinematography, Sound, and Editing – not to mention Albert Brooks’ creepy BSA performance. The guilds loved it. The Academy didn’t. Not a nomination to be had. I was really pissed when that happened.

14. keifer 1 year ago

With apologies to the gentlemen below, “Drive” did snatch a nomination
    Oscar Best Achievement in Sound Editing:

Lon Bender
    Victor Ray Ennis

So I guess my rant about “Drive” above is redundant since the movie did get one nomination.

15. Clint 1 year ago

“Drive” got a sound editing nom, so it doesn’t really fit into this discussion.

16. Movieram 1 year ago

Awesome post, Sasha!

Interestingly enough, over the last two weeks I saw both Touch of Evil and The Killing for the first time. I was totally blown away by Touch of Evil, and really really admired The Killing for its structure and leanness, though I thought some of the acting was weak.

I have to agree with some of the suggestions of others on here. I love The Night of the Hunter, Once Upon a Time in the West, and Thieves Like Us. I also second the selections on your list from the Coen Brothers and Howard Hawks (how did Roz Russell not get an Oscar for His Girl Friday?). Bringing Up Baby is one of my favorite comedies ever. Also love Groundhog Day and Zodiac.

Of films not mentioned, I think some aspects of Scorsese’s The King of Comedy were Oscar-worthy (especially Jerry Lewis). I’m sure there are others, but they escape me at the moment.

17. James 1 year ago

Still bummed Perks couldn’t even manage a screenplay nom, but one with a dance competition and false tension on a bet does. The Grey is another one of those films that I’m disappointed got nothing. Not even for some of it’s terrific sound work. Nothing for Heat. Or Thief. No Groundhog Day screenplay nomination? No Dead Ringers nods? No The Taking of Pelham 123(1974)? Damn Academy.

18. Paddy Mulholland 1 year ago

They dared shaft this lot more than once:
    Peter Greenaway’s Drowning by Numbers and The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
    Ingmar Bergman’s Persona and The Passion of Anna
    Bela Tarr’s Satantango, Werckmeister Harmonies and The Turin Horse
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian

And this lot, with the most egregious omissions in capitals because I AM FURIOUS
    When the Wind Blows
    Red White & Blue
    The Vanishing
    In the Realm of the Senses
    Grave of the Fireflies
    Beau Travail
    I Am Love

19. Paddy Mulholland 1 year ago

Also hahahahahahahaha The Grey hahahahahahahahaha #canteven

20. James 1 year ago

Paddy Mulholland

What’s wrong with The Grey? It was made with fairly good intentions despite it’s January release(mostly due to Open Road Films knowing Neeson’s flicks do well in Jan/Feb). Was supposed to be released in Toronto, but it wasn’t finished then. Aside from Narc, I’ve never much cared for Carnahan’s work aside from the fact he is one of the last male directors who makes movies about “men”. This mentality however was used sensitively in The Grey, a patient yet still thrilling art film. There might be a moment or two where I had to suspend disbelief(really? their gonna go for the jump?). Love it’s sparse use of cuts. It’s willingness to not use music(even though the score is great) and the use the sounds of streaming water. I like the strong performances by Grillo, Mulroney, Roberts, and of course Neeson. I love it’s photography. I love how the film’s plane crash takes place purely from inside the plane rather than outside. Granted that was due to the limited budget of the film. I dug it’s ambiguous ending. I love how it’s entertaining enough for a casual moviegoer while rich enough for an consistent moviegoer to contemplate over. I love how Tapley championed it. Never came out of it sadly. But that’s me.

21. Scott 1 year ago

…or at least I think they did not receive any noms.

22. S 1 year ago

My list of best movies without Oscar nominations are not necessarily American films–not separated as Sasha did (years are based on their American release, when they would’ve been eligible for the Oscar).

1. Metropolis (1928; Fritz Lang)
    2. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1929; Carl Theodor Dryer)
    3. M (1933; Fritz Lang)
    4. Paths of Glory (1957; Stanley Kubrick)
    5. Gilda (1946; Charles Vidor)
    6. King Kong (1933; Merian C. Cooper & Ernst B. Schoedsack)
    7. Trouble in Paradise (1932; Ernst Lubitsch)
    8. The Night of the Hunter (1955; Charles Laughton)
    9. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1967; Sergio Leone)
    10. Modern Times (1936; Charles Chaplin)
    11. The Rules of the Game (1939; Jean Renoir)
    12. A Christmas Story (1983; Bob Clark)
    13. The Killing (1956; Stanley Kubrick)
    14. Bringing up Baby (1938; Howard Hawks)
    15. Frankenstein (1931; James Whale)
    16. The Women (1939; George Cuckor)
    17. In a Lonely Place (1950; Nicholas Ray)
    18. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951; Robert Wise)
    19. Saboteur (1942; Alfred Hitchcock)
    20. The Searchers (1956; John Ford)
    21. This Is Spinal Tap (1984; Rob Reiner)
    22. A Prairie Home Companion (2006; Robert Altman)
    23. Lola (1963; Jacque Demy)
    24. The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg (1928; Ernst Lubitsch)
    25. Rope (1948; Alfred Hitchcock)
    26. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956; Don Siegel)
    27. The Butler (2013; Lee Daniels)
    28. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944; Frank Capra)
    29. Out of the Past (1947; Jacque Tourneur)
    30. The Big Sleep (1946; Howard Hawks)
    31. Lady and the Tramp (1955; Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, & Hamilton Luske)
    32. Show Boat (1936; James Whale)
    33. Say Amen, Somebody (1983; George T. Neirenberg)
    34. Fruitvale Station (2013; Ryan Coogler)
    35. Chicken Run (2000; Nick Park & Peter Lord)
    36. A Raisin in the Sun (1961; Daniel Petrie)
    37. Eve’s Bayou (1997; Kasi Lemmons)
    38. The Seven Year Itch (1955; Billy Wilder)
    39. Gran Torino (2008; Clint Eastwood)
    40. Mansfield Park (1999; Patricia Rozema)
    41. Freaks (1932; Tod Browning)
    42. Stormy Weather (1943; Andrew Stone)
    43. Belle de jour (1969; Luis Buñuel)
    44. The Grass Is Greener (1960; Stanley Donen)
    45. Destry Rides Again (1939; George Marshall)
    46. Queen Christina (1933; Rouben Mamaulian)
    47. His Girl Friday (1940; Howard Hawks)
    48. Badlands (1973; Terrance Mallick)
    49. Hair (1979; Norman Jewison)
    50. A Night to Remember (1958; Roy Ward Baker)

23. Beasley 1 year ago

1. The Big Lebowski (screenplay, actor, sup. actor, cinematography)
    2. Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (screenplay, editing, actress, sup. actor, cinematography)
    3. Aguirre, The Wrath of God (actor, Foreign Language film, editing, director, screenplay)
    4. Touch of Evil (director, cinematography, sup. actor, screenplay, editing, picture)
    5. Clerks (screenplay)
    6. Resevoir Dogs (screenplay)
    7. Oldboy (2004) (screenplay, editing, cinematography, director)

24. S 1 year ago

@Scott… Bonita Grandville was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for “These Three,” but your other 2 were indeed void of Oscar nominations.

25. Isaac David Quesada 1 year ago

Fight Club almost made the list.

26. Paddy Mulholland 1 year ago

‘Paddy Mulholland

What’s wrong with The Grey?’

Just wasn’t for me. Nothing exceptional, I thought. Didn’t thrill me much. Found it almost completely conventional.

27. keifer 1 year ago

I also have to add two films directed by Roman Polanski (“The Ghost Writer” and “MacBeth”) onto this list of Oscar-neglected films.

“The Ghost Writer” won numerous European Film Awards (including Best Actor for Ewan McGregor) . . . and AMPAS ignored it completely.

1971’s “MacBeth” was awarded BEST FILM by the National Board of Review . . . and AMPAS ignored it completely.

28. David Lindsey 1 year ago

We Need to Talk About Kevin

29. John 1 year ago

Since the Academy is rarely into horror, that’s where a lot of my list would be…

The Searchers
    The Invisible Man
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    The Stranger
    Star Trek 2
    The Hangover

30. joeyhegele 1 year ago

Of the films not on Sasha’s list, I would definitely have The Night of the Hunter (1955) at the very top.

I would also add:
    Tokyo Story (1953)
    Paths Of Glory (1957)
    If (1968)
    Stairway to Heaven (1946)
    Beauty and the Beast (1946)
    Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
    The Lady Vanishes (1938)
    The 39 Steps (1935)
    Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
    Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
    A Night to Remember (1958)
    Synecdoche, New York (2008)
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
    The Iron Giant (1999)
    City Lights (1931)
    The Seventh Seal (1957)
    Modern Times (1936)

31. Bryce Forestieri 1 year ago

This is a bit of a non-starter, isn’t it? The realm of “great films with zero Oscar nominations” is so vast you’d have to include hundreds of titles and perhaps even dozens of entire filmographies.

Whatever. Here I go.

Jeremy Irons was not nominated for Best Actor for Cronenberg’s DEAD RINGERS, when not only he deserved the nom but most definitely the win. I can’t include Jeff Goldblum in THE FLY* since that film won Best Makeup, remember? But he too should have won that year.

*I just did.

32. Larn 1 year ago

Harold and Maude was not nominated for anything at all? Not even screenplay? Wow, unbeleivable.

33. desmond 1 year ago

HEAT (Michael Mann,1995)

The Professional / Leon (Luc Besson,1994)

In the mood for love ( Wong Kar Wai ,2000)

34. John Oliver 1 year ago

What about Carl Franklin’s One False Move.

35. John Oliver 1 year ago

Not to mention The Last Seduction, which should have won Linda Fiortino the Best Actress Oscar

36. david 1 year ago

Are you kidding everybody forgot mention one of the best movies of last year ‘Short Term 12’ Larson was ripped off of a Best Actress nomination it should’ve gotten a best picture and the biggest robbery was for keith stanfield not get nominated for best original song!!!!

37. SeattleMoviegoer 1 year ago

maybe it was too obscure, but Michael Tolkin’s THE RAPTURE was robbed of recognition several years ago…yet the movie haunts me even still. i consider Mimi Rogers’ performance one of the best i’ve seen. and a salute to the guy who pointed out that Milos Forman’s HAIR was snubbed. it’s one of the best movie musicals i know.

38. Każdy z nas zetknął się z tematem, doradzam zaznajomienie
    się z tematem.

39. Alec 1 year ago

Eve’s Bayou
    The 25th Hour
    Into The Wild

40. Bob Burns 1 year ago

Scott,…. no noms for Three Women or A Wedding.

the un-nommed Altman that has haunted me is Brewster McCloud. Sally Kellerman.

41. Movieram 1 year ago

Alec, Hal Holbrook received a Supporting Actor nomination for Into the Wild. But yes, the film should have garnered several more.

Let me add Devil in a Blue Dress for at least costumes, art direction, and Don Cheadle. Also Roxanne, Dogfight, Delores Claiborne, and 1993’s Much Ado About Nothing.

42. Doody1972 1 year ago

Michael Mann’s HEAT – better than ANYTHING nominated in 1995!

Also, if you can track it down, take another look at Alan Parker’s Come See the Paradise – well worth it.

43. murtaza 1 year ago

Sasha have you seen In Bloom? A very small film from Georgia which was submitted last year to compete in Best Foreign Language Film category.
    If you haven’t you should, find it somewhere. You’ll love it, two stunning strong female characters and the setting of the film is what that really works. Films as such are so important today, they deserve larger audience and recognition.
    After The Past it’s another snub by the Academy in that category.

44. filmboymichael 1 year ago

wow – I always thought His Girl Friday got some noms…such a great movie from the “say….see” era….and the first film I studied in film school….I’d add to that list – jokingly, of course – is Girls Will be Girls!

45. Alec 1 year ago

Thanks Movieram. I guess it also had an editing nomination. I still think Hirsch, Keener, Penn and Vedder should have been nominated for their work. What a great film.

46. Kane 1 year ago

Movieram, it also got mentioned for best editing.

47. Al Robinson 1 year ago

I just realized that Dazed and Confused had no Oscar Nominations. That’s a terrific movie!! I’d put it high on my list.

48. Al Robinson 1 year ago

And Wes Craven’s Scream. Scream was awesome too.

“Don’t you know the rules of surviving a horror movie!?!?”

C’Mon, how come no Best Original Screenplay nomination??

49. Casey 1 year ago

I would go with

50. david 1 year ago

Paranormal activity deserved a bes original screenplay nomination

51. Brian 1 year ago

I second a lot of these films, but I think one of the most glaring omissions was “Waitng for Guffman”. You could pick anyone in that ensemble and nominate them. And the screenplay. And original songs. Maybe I’m alone on this one…

52. Fabulous, what a web site it is! This web site gives useful information to us, keep it up.

53. S 1 year ago

@Scott…Sorry I misread your post, I was thinking of William Wyler’s “These Three” from the 30s rather than the Altman movie you actually referred to–you were definitely right, no nominations for any of your choices. Sorry I didn’t read more carefully!

54. Al Robinson 1 year ago

The Transporter
    Super 8
    First Blood
    Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    The Breakfast Club
    Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

So many good movies that didn’t have 1 Oscar nom.

57. Brian Susbielles 1 year ago

I’m all about the non-American films getting no respect. A lot of under appreciated works that Cannes loves, but the Academy doesn’t.

58. K. 1 year ago

-Shop around the corner (194) – The epitome of the ‘Lubitsch Touch’.
    -Metropolis (1927) – Was it even eligible for the first Academy awards?
    -M (1931) – The screenplay at least deserved something.
    -Lucky Star (1929) – I know Gaynor won the year before but she deserved a second consecutive nomination for this marvel.
    -Show People (1928) & The Patsy (1928) – Poor Davies never got the recognition she truly deserved.
    -Paths of Glory (1957) & The Killing (1956) – Kubrick’s best yet not even one nomination between them?
    -Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928) & The Cameraman (1928) – Explains itself.
    -The Innocents (1961) – Poor Kerr, should of at least had a 7th nominations for this.
    -All That Heaven Allows (1955) – Romance at its finest
    -The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) – Weren’t Spaghetti Westerns frowned upon at the time?
    -The Seventh Seal (1957) – Bergman’s best yet…
    -Modern Times (1936) & City Lights (1931) – Maybe the Academy didn’t have time for Silents anymore…
    -The Warriors (1979) & House of Games (1987) – Okay, these two were never getting nominated for anything but damn it, their the ultimate in guilty pleasures.

59. Jake Bart 1 year ago

People still love THE GREY? Maybe it’s because I didn’t catch it until it hit Netflix and already heard it was surprisingly good, but I found it t be bullshit on the whole. Outstanding bits (that plane crash still sticks in my mind) aside, I feel absolutely no need/desire to revisit it.

My Picks for Best Films with Zero Nods

1. The Searchers
    2. City Lights
    3. Night of the Hunter
    4. Touch of Evil
    5. His Girl Friday
    6. Spirit of the Beehive
    7. Once Upon a Time in America
    8. Paths of Glory
    9. Rio Bravo
    10. Jules and Jim

60. Walt Gamble 1 year ago

Really enjoyed The Grey, glad to see so much love for it.
    One film worth mentioning is High Fidelity, it was John Cusack at his absolute finest, he also co-wrote the terrific script (a perfect adaptation as long as swapping London for Chicago doesn’t bother you) it’s one of those wonderfully yet unobtrusively directed films that Stephen Frears is great at and it has a great supporting cast, it’s just a perfect little movie.
    A lot of great films have been mentioned that belong higher on this list, but I still want to give it a shout out!

61. Travis 1 year ago

Love the mentions for Carl Franklin’s One False Move,Eve’s Bayou, and Harold & Maude.

62. Brian 1 year ago

The entire ensemble of “Eve’s Bayou” particularly Debi Morgan and Diahann Carroll, were worthy of nominations if not wins. Lynn Whitfield was stunning. Cinematography and screenplay were definitely overlooked as well.

63. The_Movie_Guy 1 year ago

Man seminal films by people of color got absolutelyy NO love on that list. I could go on and on too! But I won’t lol

64. Rob Y 1 year ago

Movie Guy, most of those films on your list did receive at least one nomination.

65. Al Robinson 1 year ago

City of God was nominated for 4 Oscars. The Shawshank Redemption was even nominated for Best Picture.

66. JamDenTel 1 year ago

A few contenders of my own (I’m sure there’s some overlap):
    – Snatch (Picture, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actor (Alan Ford), Editing)
    – Touch of Evil (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Actor (Welles), etc.)
    – Melancholia (Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Actress (Kirsten Dunst–how they overlooked her I don’t know)
    – Stalker (Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography)
    – Koyaanisqatsi (Picture, Cinematography, Original Score (one of the best film scores ever), Editing)
    – A Matter of Life and Death (Picture, Original Screenplay, Actor (David Niven))
    – Seven Psychopaths (Picture, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actor (Sam Rockwell))
    – Payday (Picture, Original Screenplay, Actor (Rip Torn–one of his greatest performances))
    – Sweet Smell of Success (Picture, Original Screenplay, Actor (Curtis), Supporting Actor (Lancaster))
    – Synecdoche, New York (Picture, Original Screenplay, Actor (PSH), Production Design)

67. Future_Filmmaker 1 year ago

68. Al Robinson 1 year ago

Shit!! You’re right. How did I miss that one?!

No Oscar noms for The Dark Knight Rises. Tragic.

“I am Gotham’s reckoning”. Classic.

69. Kane 1 year ago

The Movie Guy, you listed 11 movies. All but 2 of them were nominated for Oscars. Also Jackie Brown, Seven, Casino, Boogie Nights and Shawshank Redemption weren’t made by people of color. Although Do the Right Thing was snubbed, I couldn’t have wished for a better outcome for Boyz N Da Hood and City of God. John Singleton remains the youngest person nominated for best director. So I’m not sure what you’re trying to get at here…

70. Simon Warrasch 1 year ago

Dogville (Lars von Trier)
    Melancholia (Lars von Trier)
    Idioten (Lars von Trier)
    Overboard (Gary Marshall)
    There’s something about Mary (Bobby and Peter Farrelly)
    The Big Lebovsky (Coen Brothers)
    Shame (Steve McQueen)
    Hunger (Steve McQueen)
    Cache (Michael Haneke)
    La Pianiste (Michael Haneke)
    Synechdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)
    Wendy & Lucy (Kelly Reichardt)
    8 Femmes (Francois Ozon)
    Little Man Tate (Jodie Foster)
    The Doctor (Randa Haines)
    The Intouchables (Olivier Nakache, Eric Toledano)
    Moon (Duncan Jones)
    25 Hours (Spike Lee)
    Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly)
    Secretary (Steven Shainberg)
    Mean Girls (Mark Waters)
    Gegen die Wand (Fatih Akin)
    Auf der anderen Seite (Fatih Akin)
    Wer früher stirbt, ist länger tot (Marcus H. Rosenmüller)

The List goes on and on and on!

71. keifer 1 year ago

“Waiting for Guffman” – yes, I agree. I’ll never forget Corky St. Clair and his collection of celebrity lunch boxes or the couple running a travel business who’ve never been outside their state. Hysterically funny.

72. mileshigh 1 year ago

The Searchers wasn’t nominated for an Oscar!? I didn’t realize this. Ford received a DGA nod though. That’s my #1!

73. Simon Warrasch 1 year ago

Stepmom (Chris Columbus)
    Persona (Ingmar Begman)
    50/50 (Jonathan Levine)
    Leon (Luc Besson)

4 of my favourite Movies of all time and each of them has ZERO Oscar Nominations!

74. movieram 1 year ago

Jake Bart — Noticed you selection of Once Upon a Time in America, in which the Director’s Cut is indeed a masterpiece. It’s in my all-time Top 25 movies.

However, the cut that was released in 1984 was butchered by the studio and is hopelessly confusing and is a total train wreck of a film. It’s hard to imagine how it was Oscar-worthy of anything at the time. It is definitely in a class by itself now, though.

75. Jesus Alonso 1 year ago

Some landmark and amazing films that probably had ZERO chance at Oscar (specially after misfired reception): Hairspray (2007), Airplane!, The Blair Witch Project, Night of the Living Dead, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, John Carpenter’s The Thing (not even for visual effects!), Buddha Collapsed out of Shame, El Milagro de P. Tinto, Camino, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Others, The Grey Zone, Zentropa, Melancholia… so many

76. Jesus Alonso 1 year ago

And once more, remember, the BIGGEST Hollywood icon died Oscarnominationless… Marilyn at least won a Golden Globe.

77. Brian 1 year ago

Tim Curry was definitely robbed of a nomination (at least) for “Rocky Horror”. One of the great performances.

78. Simon Warrasch 1 year ago

Safe (Todd Haynes)
    Birth (Jonathan Glazer)

How could i forget these two movies???

79. Andrew 1 year ago

Agree with The Grey and the Jane Campion films

Think Margaret deserves a place on the list

80. Jeff York 1 year ago

Great lists! So pleased to see some horror films mentioned too. Here’s my list of top frighteners that merited Oscar consideration but received no love from the Academy. (Forgive me if some are repeated from other lists.)

Let The Right One In
    Frankenstein (1931)
    Dracula (1931)
    Bride of Frankenstein
    Theater of Blood (Poor Vincent Price – he wasn’t nominated for this or anything ever!)
    Halloween (1978)
    Don’t Look Now
    Dead Ringers (Jeremy Irons was NOT nominated. Unbelievable.)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
    John Carpenter’s The Thing
    Dressed To Kill
    Shaun of the Dead
    There are many more I could list. I’m grateful that some films like The Exorcist and The Omen even won Oscars, but there are too few wins and far too few nominations from the genre.

81. Bardzo fajny post, interesujące zapisy polecam wszystkim lekturę

82. rowery Giant 1 year ago

Nietuzinkowe spojrzenie na myśl, każdy powinien przeczytać i
    zapoznać się z tematem.

83. 11 months ago

Treść pokrewna każdemu, rekomenduję publikację

84. BioClinic 10 months ago

Problematyka bliska każdemu, polecam lekturę Zalecam mezoterapia
    gliwice opinie

85. Warren W. Spencer 10 months ago

Based on a readily verifiable consistency of copious praise and recognition from reputable sources other than AMPAS, the following English-speaking films unjustly received nary an Oscar nomination much less win. As such, they make up the most egregious of many Academy Award shut-outs over the years for Best Picture. Irrespective of my own personal choices or popular opinion, they are listed chronologically according to year of release. NOTE: Most of these glaring Academy oversights occurred in the 1930s and 1940s.
    City Lights-1931
    Out of the Past-1947
    Letter from an Unknown Woman-1948
    Night of the Hunter-1955
    Paths of Glory-1957
    Touch of Evil-1958

86. przesyłek 10 months ago

Badawcze spojrzenie na rzecz, każdy powinien rozczytać także
    zaznajomić się z przedmiotem.

87. This involves being compulsive about living a heart-healthy lifestyle, including exercise, eating right, smoking cessation and stress management, as well as working closely with a physician to identify and correct treatable risk factors.

88. Nike Lebron 10 8 months ago

But the judge urged the city and county to try to reach a settlement with the Mount Prospect widow.

89. No matter what he has written since exiting Second City, Gallivan says, it抯 always informed by his tenure there, which 損repared me for all of these jobs just by giving me lots of chances to fail.?

90. New Balance 629 8 months ago

In her ruling, Pallmeyer was critical of police and prosecutors, even suggesting the city and county settle with Koschman. There is no indication any settlement talks have occurred.

91. Kevin O扗onnell ?揟he Wheel??Steppenwolf Theatre Company

92. Air Max 87 8 months ago

Even the best of allies have disagreements. The White House and State Department have long complained about Israeli construction in disputed territories in the West Bank. Such building is, in my view, far from the central roadblock to peace negotiations that President Barack Obama and his diplomats portray it. Still, an argument can be made that the government of Netanyahu hasn? been sensitive to Washington? perspective.

93. Afterward, the President will depart Rhode Island en route Washington, DC. The departure from T.F. Green Airport is open to pre-credentialed media, and the President will motorcade back to the White House accompanied by the in-town travel pool.

94. cheap nike free run 8 months ago

揟here was never any doubt these kids would pick him out,?says Yawger. 揟here抯 no doubt he was the guy, but you have to have an identification . . . . Those kids ?when none of them picked him out, I was just flabbergasted.?

95. Nike Air Yeezy II 8 months ago

For Nanci Koschman, David is now frozen in time. A slight, blond 21-year-old who, with four buddies, left home in suburban Mount Prospect to party on Rush and Division.

96. Levin, 60, was previously a federal prosecutor for 24 years, holding a number of high-ranking positions in the U.S. Attorney抯 office in Chicago and San Francisco. He爓orked closely with Fardon in 2006 to secure the public corruption conviction of爁ormer Gov. Ryan, and is also an adjunct professor at Northwestern University.

97. New Balance 990 8 months ago

98. air max light 8 months ago

Emanuel closed a record number of schools last year and weathered a teachers?strike in 2012.

99. Nike Free 3.0 8 months ago