Meryl Streep song cut from Into The Woods

2qv8kty

In the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly, director Rob Marshall confirms he has cut the new Stephen Sondheim song which was written for Meryl Streep’s Witch from the final cut of Into The Woods.

Last year, Streep revealed that Sondheim had written a new song for her character, “I have a new song that Sondheim wrote for me, so it’s all very, very. He gave me the manuscript of it and he wrote, ‘don’t f**k it up!'”

However, Marshall said the new song has ended up on the cutting room floor, saying, “We’ve been incredibly faithful to the original.” He promised people wouldn’t be disappointed and added, “I don’t think people will be remotely ready to hear her sing this material. The power from her is off the charts.”

The song would have been eligible for Best Original Song at the Oscars. It will however feature all the classic songs including “Children Will Listen,” “Giants in the Sky,” “On the Steps of the Palace,” “No One Is Alone” and “Agony,” to name a few.

Check out the latest still of Streep as The Witch.

Meryl Streep as The Witch

Do you think it matters that the song was cut or not?

1. Antoinette 12 months ago

So… she fucked it up. lol

I mean. I have ear plugs. I usually don’t bring them to the theater though. But it’s looking like a better be safe than sorry scenario. There’s always the chance that I won’t need them because the movie will just be a bunch of stills. :)

2. Ellsworth 12 months ago

The original story and score are perfect as they are – there was no need to add another song. If they capture what the stage show created this will be both hilarious and devastating, whimsical and inspiring. I can’t wait.

3. S 12 months ago

The film versions of “Chicago,” “Phantom of the Opera,” and “The Producers” each included one original song. For all of them, it was the low point of the movie. Sounds like a safe bet to cut it.

4. Bill_the_Bear 12 months ago

Well, they can’t get an Original Song Oscar nomination if the song was in the stage musical, so that’s why most musicals add at least one new song for the movie version.

Sometimes it works…”You Must Love Me” from the film version of Evita got the Oscar, and the Golden Globe for Best Song as well…and sometimes it doesn’t work.

5. Joey 12 months ago

The Producers, Phantom and Chicago all had original songs, but they all played during the credits.

6. Ryan Adams 12 months ago

Original songs that play during credits can still be nominated, yes? Musical movies and straight movies.

7. Joey 12 months ago

Yes, they can, but I was just replying to an earlier comment. Someone said that original songs in those 3 were the low points of the film, but they weren’t actually in the films.

8. seattlemoviegoer 12 months ago

well, maybe it’s for the best. the new song for LES MISERABLES, “Suddenly” didn’t set the world on fire and didn’t add much to the movie. i’m glad they didn’t feel the need for a new SWEENEY TODD tune just to troll for an Oscar. this doesn’t seem like a tactic that Sondheim would employ. he already has one for DICK TRACY.
    sometimes, tho, it works. “You Must Love Me” was a nice addition to EVITA.

9. filmboymichael 12 months ago

I’m sure it’ll play during the end credits….I believe the rule is that the song needs to play during the first minute of end credits to still be eligible….for the oscar, not the globes. I recall Masterpiece by Madonna won the globe, but wasn’t eligible for the oscar due to it’s placement in the credits.

10. Chance 12 months ago

It just always sounded so unnecessary to me. What could have been said in that song that wasn’t already so eloquently sung in the other tunes, by the witch, by the Baker, and so on? If it blew me away, that would have been awesome, but I always had the worry that it wouldn’t have.

And Chicago’s “I Move On” was a lot of fun to me! And Hairspray’s “Come So Far (Got So Far To Go)” is the pinnacle of current written-for-the-film musical numbers. Too bad “Come What May” was written for another film. That one was fantastic as well.

11. Paddy Mulholland 12 months ago

‘We’ve been incredibly faithful to the original.’

And there you have it. They know how much they’ve pissed off fans of the stage musical by reportedly tinkering with elements of the plot, and now they’re backtracking by stressing how faithful they’re being to it. Anything they can do to reassure people that they’re not fucking with people’s expectations.

12. rufussondheim 12 months ago

You must love me was such a successful addition to the film that current stage productions are including it in their versions. Evita’s weak spot was always the ending, and that song cured that weakness.

Into the Woods has no weakness.

13. seattlemoviegoer 12 months ago

re: Paddy’s comment…
    they’ve started to piss off fans of the stage version
    already by releasing a trailer with no music nor
    singing nor anything else to indicate that it is a musical.
    but that is the standard approach Hollywood takes
    nowadays.

14. Stephen Holt 12 months ago

It’s such a shame that Hwood, and I suppose you can say the public, too, has fallen out of love with Movie Musicals…However, they continue to dominate and eat up all the air in the room on Broadway. They are bigger than ever. Go figure.

15. rufussondheim 12 months ago

While box office for Broadway is bigger than ever, I’d argue that the state of the modern musical is pretty horrific. Almost every major musical that comes out now is a version of some movie rather than a truly original piece. Like movies, most theatrical movies need a brand so the tourists know what they are getting.

Plus, there is no person working in the musical industry that has such a complete vision as Stephen Sondheim or even an Andrew Lloyd Weber. There are talented people putting out musicals (William Finn, among others.) but none of these people are widely recognized by the American public and serve as their own “brand”. I’m hoping something changes.

16. Chris 12 months ago

i do not understand why they would commission Stephen Sondheim to write a song for Merryl Streep to sing, hype it for a year, then cut it from the film. The song had Oscar buzz written all over it. The more i hear about this film the less i want to go see it. if the song is the first song played while the credits are rolling then the song counts for an Oscar. is this just a ruse to get us to beg for the song? Just put in the movie. Stephen will then add it to a revival of the show. i am sure the song is wonderful.

17. rufussondheim 12 months ago

it probably is a good song, but is it good in the context of the film? That we don’t know. I guess we’ll know when we hear the song, which I am sure we will at one point.