Inherent Vice and Birdman to Compete as Comedies at Golden Globes

Inherent Vice 1

Scott Feinberg reports that Birdman, Inherent Vice and Grand Budapest Hotel will compete in the Musical/Comedy category at the Globes, which helps to broaden the field for Best Picture contenders. Scott writes:

This year, along with Birdman and Inherent Vice, the musical or comedy field will include such dramedies as Tim Burton‘s Big Eyes (giving Amy Adams a chance at a best actress nom), Cake (ditto for Jennifer Aniston)Jon Favreau‘s ChefMichael Radford‘s Elsa & Fred (a vehicle for Globes favorites Shirley MacLaine and Christopher Plummer), Wes Anderson‘s The Grand Budapest Hotel (his Moonrise Kingdom was nominated in the category two years ago), Lasse Hallstrom‘s The Hundred-Foot Journey(look out for Helen Mirren), Woody Allen‘s Magic in the Moonlight (a year after his Blue Jasmine competed on the drama side), Gillian Robespierre‘s Obvious Child(Jenny Slate is a real best actress threat), Matthew Warchus‘ PrideCraig Johnson‘s The Skeleton Twins (a strong play for SNL alums Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, who portray suicidal siblings), Theodore Melfi‘s St. Vincent (expect a best actor nom for Bill Murray), Shawn Levy‘s This Is Where I Leave You and Chris Rock‘s Top Five.

How do you think they will divide them up for Best Picture?

1. SAMMY 9 months ago

They have cleared field for a Boyhood Best Motion Picture Drama victory !!

2. Steven Kane 9 months ago

Well this comes as no surprise. I don’t think there’s any “fringe” genre being unjustly relegated to one category. At least (fingers crossed) we won’t get another The Tourist on our hands.

3. Mike 9 months ago

The Skeleton Twins deserves to get some notice.. hopefully a couple of nods from the Globes.

4. SAMMY 9 months ago

Last year this was also a strong category with American Hustle, Her, Inside Llewyn Davis and TWOWS.

5. SAMMY 9 months ago

I think the Drama category will be like this:

Boyhood
    The Theory of Everything
    Selma
    The Imitation Game
    Whiplash

6. Danny 9 months ago

I’ve seen Inherent Vice four times now. And Birdman twice. One of them holds up and in fact just gets better on repeated viewings. The other reveals itself to be little more than a hollow gimmick the second time around.

7. Gregoire 9 months ago

I guess Birdman is a comedy in comparison to, say, Nightcrawler and Selma, but this seems a bit ridiculous to me.

8. Charles 9 months ago

im thinking:

Comedy/Musical
    Into the Woods
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    Birdman
    St. Vincent
    Top Five
    Alt: The Hundred Foot Journey (the salmon fishing in the yemen, exotic marigold hotel slot)

Drama
    The Theory of Everything
    The Imitation Game
    Boyhood
    Selma
    Unbroken
    Alt: Something grittier like Foxcatcher or Whiplash

9. Bryce Forestieri 9 months ago

so “Comedy/Musical” could look like this:

INTO THE WOODS: The cast is crowded with stars so it’s in.
    BIRDMAN: By all accounts, one of the Top 5 Oscar players. In.
    GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL: Beloved and critically acclaimed, it would be too fishy to ignore at this point.
    INHERENT VICE seems strong, but is it? There’s a lot of cineaste passion behind it. Certainly big names. Could make it safely.

Then the 5th spot is up for grabs between BIG EYES vs. a multitude of “quirky” indies, isn’t it?

I bet somehow they “fell in love” with UNBROKEN so Angelina Jolie will make their Best Director line-up.

so “Drama” looking like

UNBROKEN – It’s Jolie (they nominated BLOOD AND HONEY lol)
    SELMA – Not many “big stars”, but huge Oscar player
    IMITATION GAME – Weinstein, Oscar, etc
    GONE GIRL, Hugely popular, Affleck, they like Fincher, right?
    BOYHOOD – Duh

If they nominate six then THEORY OF EVERYTHING or WHIPLASH or AMERICAN SNIPER or maaaaybe MR. TURNER.

10. Jim 9 months ago

I’m thinking:
    BIRDMAN (which I’m happy to see in the Comedy category where I think it belongs)
    GRAND BUDAPEST
    INTO THE WOODS
    INHERENT VICE
    PRIDE (they love a BritCom)

Drama could be…
    BOYHOOD
    THE IMITATION GAME
    THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING
    SELMA
    MR. TURNER
    alt. WHIPLASH. I feel like Selma might prove too “American” for them.

11. SallyinChicago 9 months ago

I must admit I’m in the dark about all the movies mentioned. As a consumer, I haven’t seen any of them, and doubt I will. I think I represent the vast majority of average movie goers. WHO is Hollywood making movies for?

12. benutty 9 months ago

I thought we were already assuming Inherent Vice and Birdman were in Comedy here. GoldDerby was at least. In any event:

Drama:
    Gone Girl
    The Imitation Game
    Interstellar
    Selma
    Unbroken

Comedy/Musical:
    Birdman
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Into the Woods
    Pride
    St. Vincent

What better way for the HFPA to make headlines than to leave Boyhood off their list? It’s possible given that the film feels VERY American, doesn’t bring the star wattage of its competition and is way more independent than the group usually goes.

13. Al Robinson 9 months ago

I think the Golden Globes – Best Picture (Comedy or Musical) category could be:

Birdman
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Inherent Vice
    Into the Woods
    St. Vincent

14. Brett 9 months ago

If Pride gets nominated I will cry such tears of joy! The most underrated movie of 2014 next to Edge of Tomorrow!

15. Aubrey 9 months ago

Category Confusion
    Suppose a studio chooses their film to be submitted as Comedy/Musical. But HFPA says no. Does HFPA inform the studio before voting begins? Or do they just go ahead and vote a candidate in whichever category they like? Surely it’s in the studio’s best interest to finalize the category before voting begins, or else it risks getting their votes split into two categories and not making the nomination?

With Academy Awards, this happens with Lead and Supporting ambiguity, and if a candidate’s vote gets split into two categories, then there’s the danger of not getting enough to secure a nomination in either. I believe the Academy doesn’t combine the votes from 2 categories.

16. Josh 9 months ago

Into the Woods
    Birdman
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    Inherent Vice
    Chef

17. Josh 9 months ago

Comedies that could end up getting nominated:

Pride
    Top Five
    Bad Words
    Skeleton Twins
    Begin Again

18. chasgoose 9 months ago

Yeah at this point I see the categories shaping up like this

COMEDY
    1. Birdman
    2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    3. Into the Woods
    4. Pride
    5. Top 5
    Alternates: St. Vincent/Inherent Vice

DRAMA
    1. Boyhood
    2. The Imitation Game
    3. Unbroken
    4. The Theory of Everything
    5. Gone Girl (I would be fairly surprised if this didn’t get a nom)
    6. Whiplash
    Alternates: Selma/Mr. Turner

19. Ace Galaxy 9 months ago

I’m actually hoping they do another weird nomination this year in the comedy/musical category. (a la John C. Reilly for Dewey Cox, and The Hangover)

FYC – Chris Pratt for Guardians of the Galaxy

Birdman
    Inherent Vice
    Into The Woods
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Top Five

21. JamDenTel 9 months ago

Birdman’s totally a comedy. A very dark one, to be sure, but its attitude is essentially a comic one.

Inherent Vice LOOKS like a comedy. If they can call Her a comedy, I’m sure it qualifies.

22. Chris Price 9 months ago

Into The Woods
    Birdman
    Top Five
    Chef
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    St. Vincent

I think Inherent Vice gets snubbed. So does Unbroken. Just saying. I could easily see myself being wrong about this. I also included 6 in each category to hedge my bets so to speak, although there is precedent at the Globes for more than 5 BP noms.

23. Sam 9 months ago

@Chris Price

I agree with you on Inherent Vice. It’s gonna be The Master all over again. But I hope I’m wrong.

24. Leo Spiegel 9 months ago

What better way for the HFPA to make headlines than to leave Boyhood off their list? Why not ?
    As usual, I think that due to the very small number of only 90 Members of the foreign press journalists, an accurate prediction is very difficult right now.
    AND WOW, I do not attach importance to the review of the so called “AWARD EXPERT GURUS”.
    Now for me it seems for BP for the Globes shaping up possible like this: I am saying possible!
    (Comedy or Musical):
    1. Birdman
    2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
    3. Into the Woods
    4. Pride
    5. Begin Again

(Drama:)

1. Unbroken (I would be fairly surprised if this didn’t get a nom, instead could easily be voted as the big WINNER) !! Angelina and Universal Pictures….!
    2. The Theory of Everything (Ediie Redmayne is fantasting new actor)
    5. Gone Girl (I would be fairly surprised if this didn’t get a nom)
    4. Whiplash (J.K. Simmons………Wow, what a perfect performance)
    5. Boyhood
    6. The Imitation Game

25. JMS 9 months ago

Whiplash is the best film I have seen all year. Not even close. Should be on top of Drama.

26. Chris Price 9 months ago

JMS, here here! Totally agree!