So, Erik Childress, who runs the Oscar Eye, puts films on his list that he’s seen – so he isn’t make blind predictions, which probably explains why his first five for Best Picture look like this:
1. The Dark Knight ‚Äì Top grosser of the year and embraced by critics as a bona fide masterpiece of any genre.
2. WALL‚Ä¢E ‚Äì There will be a lot of justified support to not just ghettoize this into the Animated category.
3. Slumdog Millionaire ‚Äì Fox Searchlight did it for Little Miss Sunshine and Juno. They have another winner on their hands.
4. Changeling ‚Äì Three of Clint Eastwood‚Äôs last four films have been nominated for Best Picture but this one isn‚Äôt nearly as good.
5. Rachel Getting Married ‚Äì Demme‚Äôs best film since Something Wild. Period.