(Thanks to Todd Jorgenson)
Top Ten Films of 2008
Best Film: SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
Best Director: Danny Boyle, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.
1. SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE
3. THE DARK KNIGHT
4. THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
5. THE WRESTLER
6. THE VISITOR
runners-up: David Fincher, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON; Christopher Nolan, THE DARK KNIGHT; Gus Van Sant, MILK; and Ron Howard, FROST/NIXON
Best Actor: Sean Penn, MILK
runners-up: Mickey Rourke, THE WRESTLER; Frank Langella for FROST/NIXON; Brad Pitt, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON; and Richard Jenkins, THE VISITOR
Best Actress: Anne Hathaway, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED.
runners-up: Meryl Streep, DOUBT; Sally Hawkins, HAPPY-GO-LUCKY; Kristin Scott Thomas, I’VE LOVED YOU SO LONG; and Kate Winslet, REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
I like seeing the first four runners-up. Wouldn’t it be fun if the Oscars showed us the rankings too?¬† But the lists here are lengthy, so we’ll continue with the rest of the winners after the cut.
- Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, THE DARK KNIGHT.
runners-up: Josh Brolin, MILK; Eddie Marsan, HAPPY-GO-LUCKY; Philip Seymour Hoffman, DOUBT; and Robert Downey Jr., TROPIC THUNDER
- Best Supporting Actress: Viola Davis, DOUBT.
runners-up: Penelope Cruz for VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA; Marisa Tomei, THE WRESTLER; Taraji P. Henson, THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON; and Rosemarie Dewitt, RACHEL GETTING MARRIED
- Best Foreign Language Film: TELL NO ONE
runners-up: WALTZ WITH BASHIR, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, I’VE LOVED YOU SO LONG, and GOMORRAH
- Best Documentary: MAN ON WIRE
runners-up: WALTZ WITH BASHIR, YOUNG AT HEART, STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, and DEAR ZACHARY: A LETTER TO A SON ABOUT HIS FATHER
- Best Animated Film: WALL-E
runner-up: KUNG FU PANDA
- Best Screenplay: Dustin Lance Black, MILK
runner-up: Simon Beaufoy, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.
- Best Cinematography: Wally Pfister,THE DARK KNIGHT
runner-up: Claudio Miranda,THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
- WENDY AND LUCY won the Russell Smith Award, named for the late Dallas Morning News film critic. The honor is given annually to the best low-budget or cutting-edge independent film.