Nikki Finke is reporting that fans of the Dark Knight, referred to here as nerds and comic book geeks, plan to boycott the Oscars. Finke, who sits at the cool kids table, agrees with them:
But I definitely agree with them — as I complained when the Oscar nods were announced –¬†that Chris Nolan (who wasn’t nominated for Best Director) and his pic were both robbed.
I know a lot of people who don’t care enough about the Oscars this year to watch them, which may not be a direct boycott so much as boredom with the choices — when you sense a film as popular as the Dark Knight headed for Oscar when the excitement stops, so does the anticipation for the season. In the ten years I’ve been doing this no popular film in that position has ever missed getting a Best Picture nod until now, which why it’s a bit of a drag. On the other hand, here are some great reasons to watch.
1) Kate Winslet may finally pick up the Oscar win that has so far eluded her.
2) Heath Ledger may win his much deserved posthumous Oscar. Unless Oscar voters decide to punish the geeks, which has been known to happen once or twice.
3) Slumdog will finally pick up Best Picture on its march to a gold sweep.¬† If enough people have seen the movie they should be happy about this feel-good moment.
4) If all else fails Hugh Jackman singing and dancing?¬† Look, Oprah Winfrey’s audience alone can bring huge numbers to the broadcast, all she has to do is have Hugh on her show again. What’s that? Oh, right, Australia. Well this is different, it isn’t three hours long and….what’s that? Oh, right, three hours long. Hm. Still, come on, millions of screaming fans will show their love for ABC.
5) Brad and Angie and a slight chance Jennifer Aniston may show up. I doubt it, though. Buddhists don’t feed the beast but I did read it on a gossip site somewhere and maybe that will get people to watch.
6) And it’s the Oscars! The Oscars! Come on, guys! It’s been 365 days of blood, sweat and tears on this website alone. I know you all are going to watch. Let’s do this thing! So what do you all think, will you be watching, yes or no?