What a long strange trip it’s been. For Fincher fans who began buzzing about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button more than a year ago, anticipating what it could be, hyping what it might be, and — for some of us — admiring what it turned out to be, the announcement yesterday of the May 5th DVD release is the icing on Mr Gateau. Paramount is pairing with Criterion to give us a deluxe 2-disc set.
‚ÄúThe Curious Case Of Benjamin Button two-disc DVD and two-disc Blu-ray boast over three hours of enthralling special features including interviews with stars Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett with behind-the-scenes footage of their astonishing on-screen transformations, an in-depth documentary revealing the unusual journey of the film itself including the secrets of its award-winning visual effects and an exploration of the groundbreaking computer wizardry that brought the magical world of Benjamin Button to life.‚Äù
Let the reassessment begin. This swanky Criterion treatment will probably do more to enhance the film’s reputation over the years than 3 or 4 more Oscars would have done. More DVD details after the cut.
- The Curious Birth of Benjamin Button‚Äîfour-part documentary:
- Academy Award-nominated director David Fincher introduces the surprising beginnings of what would become an epic masterpiece including the casting of Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, the decision to change the location of the story to New Orleans and more.
- Follow the production from day one including the challenges of aging Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett, designing over five thousand costumes and creating the animatronic baby.
- Explore the incredible visual effects techniques created specifically for the film that allowed Brad Pitt to play the title character at virtually every age. Also includes a visit to the scoring stage with composer Alexandre Desplat.
- Walk the red carpet at the film‚Äôs premiere in New Orleans, with final thoughts from cast and crew.
- Audio Commentary by director David Fincher