Last month Sasha featured the Cannes Classics 2010, screenings that ‚Äúplace the spotlight on rediscovered or restored masterworks from the past.” Two of these restorations have already become blu-ray events — The African Queen (released March 23) and Visconti’s The Leopard (coming from Criterion on June 29).
Today Universal announces an October 19 release date for the 50th anniversary blu-ray edition of Hitchcock’s 1960 classic, Psycho. Special features detailed at blu-ray.com.
- Feature-length audio commentary with Stephen Rebello (Author of Alfred Hitchcock and the making of Psycho)
- The Making of Psycho: A feature-length documentary on Hitchcock’s most shocking film
- In the Master’s Shadow ‚Äì Hitchcock’s Legacy: Some of Hollywood’s top filmmakers discuss Hitchcock’s influence and why his movies continue to thrill audiences.
- Hitchcock/Truffaut Interviews: Excerpts from a 1962 audio interview with Alfred Hitchcock.
- Newsreel Footage: The Release of Psycho: Vintage newsreel on the unique policy Alfred Hitchcock insisted upon for the release of the film.
- The Shower Scene: A look at the impact of music on the infamous “shower scene.”
- The Shower Scene: Storyboards by Saul Bass: Original storyboard design.
- Production Notes: Read an essay on the making of the film.
- The Psycho Archives: See the gallery of on-set photo stills from the film’s production.
- Posters and Psycho Ads: See a gallery of original posters and ads from the theatrical campaign.
- Lobby Cards: View a gallery of promotional lobby cards from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Behind-The-Scenes Photographs: View rare photos showing the cast and crew at work.
- Psycho Sound: A never-before-seen piece that looks at the re-mastering process required to create a 5.1 mix from the original mono elements using Audionamix technology.
- Theatrical Trailer: Watch the original promotional trailer from the film’s theatrical campaign.
- Re-Release Trailers: Watch the promotional trailer created for the re-release of the film.