The Oscar-nominated writer and five-time Emmy-nominated creator of House of Cards, Beau Willimon, has written a detailed “Declaration of Resistance to Donald Trump” in an explosive Twitter thread, and you can bet we Democrats stand with him. Someone should tell Matthew McConaughey that it is not our obligation as Americans to “embrace and shake hands” with this incompetent creature who was installed in the Oval Office with help from a ruthless and malicious foreign government. McConaughey may say it’s “time to think about how constructive can you be with Trump,” but half the country fervently believes otherwise. It will never be time to cozy up to a sadistic narcissistic bully who does not have the best interests of all American citizens at heart. This is an arrogant, insecure, and spiteful man-child who’s been cocooned in a opulent culture of greed and corruption all his life, who’s now surrounded by impulsive nihilists with no ability and probably no desire to keep the world safe. Indeed, since perpetual chaos and discord suit their purpose, they would rather see the world burn.
It is our job as undaunted citizens of America to safeguard our endangered republic at all costs. Ours is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people, and those often recited words will never lose their meaning. It’s bad enough that this sorry excuse for a “leader” is in the pocket of Vladimir Putin, who murders his enemies and detractors with casual disregard for human dignity. It’s bad enough that a virulent white nationalist has become Trump’s most trusted advisor, privy to the most sensitive matters of national security, and that another career racist with a long history of siding with white supremacists and voter suppression is about to be confirmed as Attorney General of the United States. It’s bad enough that, without our consent, against the will of a broad majority of voters, that our country is being swept up in terrifying and worldwide wave of right-wing nationalist extremism. But to tolerate a president who stumbles clumsily all over the laws and ideals of this country because he doesn’t understand them in the first place is impossible; and to stand idly by while a handful of billionaire plutocrats rapidly dismantle the progress we have achieved as a nation is unacceptable. This is not something any of us should take lightly, accept obediently, or remain timidly silent about.
So we commend Beau Willimon for speaking out in eloquent opposition. We will each find our own best path of resistance to utilize our individual strengths and circumstances, but to defeat the scourge now infesting the White House, the one thing we all must do is stand together and lend our support to anyone at the forefront fighting on our behalf.
1. DECLARATION OF RESISTANCE
When in the course of American history it becomes necessary for the people to save our Nation from a Tyrant,
— Beau Willimon (@BeauWillimon) February 3, 2017
2. To safeguard equality for all and their inalienable rights of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness from bigotry and corruption,
3. To ensure that our Government continues derive its power from the consent of the governed rather than by autocracy,
4. That whenever any President becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to make such demands upon their Congress:
5. Immediate impeachment of the President for crimes committed, or removal from office by way of the 25th Amendment to the Constitution.
6. Donald J. Trump has conducted injuries and usurpations, pursuing the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.
7. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world–
8. He has obstructed the Laws for Naturalization of Immigrants, and illegally banned refugees in need of safe haven.
9. He has continued to violate federal court orders which require the temporary cessation of this ban, thereby violating his executive oath.
10. He has dismissed an Attorney General for fulfilling her oath to defend the Constitution, defying the autonomy of the Dept. of Justice.
11. He has purged the State Dept. of its highest level officials without any regard for a responsible continuity of State Affairs.
12. He has enlisted amateur ideologues – such as the white supremacist Stephen L. Bannon – to make national security decisions.
13. He has vowed to enact policy and legislation which clearly tread on the separation of church and state.
14. He has refused to remove or address conflicts of interest regarding both his own business and that of his cabinet and family.
15. He has hastily signed multiple Executive Orders without the advisement of Congress, policy experts, his cabinet or staff.
16. He has signed an Executive Order which knowingly deprives the sick of desperately needed healthcare with no concern for their lives.
17. He has signed an Executive Order permitting a pipeline that tramples on Native American Rights and endangers safe water supply.
18. He has illegally threatened to cut off funding to Sanctuary Cities which have determined their values through self-governance.
19. He has knowingly, repeatedly and egregiously misled the public, and directed his staff to do the same.
20. He has strongly advocated for the silencing and suppression of a Free Press.
21. He has repeatedly and consistently shown contempt for people based race, ethnicity, gender, sexual identity and religion.
22. He has shown disdain and disregard for the judiciary, and the fundamental human rights that are the foundation of Justice.
23. A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
24. We shall Resist until our Congress uses the mechanisms afforded to by the Constitution to remove this Tyrant from Power.
25. And for the support of this Declaration we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our Honor. Signed. The Resistance