Predicting the Best Original Song category this year is going to take some wild guesswork Last year a total of 91 songs were submitted for consideration, Benj Pasek and Justin Paul took home the Best Original Song Oscar for City of Stars. This year, the Tony Award-winning, Oscar Award-winning duo have penned new songs for The Greatest Showman. The official soundtrack will be released on December 8 and features Hugh Jackman as P.T Barnum, the man who created the Barnum & Bailey Circus. Jackman and Keala Settle sing some tunes and you can listen to clips of film’s musical offerings below.
Elsewhere, Diane Warren who has never won an Oscar has written two songs that could be in contention — one for the documentary Cries From Syria, with Oscar-winner Cher performing the song Prayers For This World, and the other, Stand Up For Something performed by Common and Andra Day, will be heard in the movie Marshall.
Disney’s Beauty and The Beast has two new origianl songs to offer from the live-action version of Beauty and The Beast — Evermore and How Does A Moment Last Forever. While the bolero style Remember Me could also make an entry from Coco with songs by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez who last won for Frozen’s Let It Go. Robert Lopez was the last person to EGOT and was also the youngest to win the Emmy, the Tony Award, Grammy and Oscar.
Other songs that are in the running include, To Be Human by Sia and plays during the end credits of Wonder Woman. The captivating If I Dare is co-written by Moonlight composer Nicholas Britell and Sara Bareilles, its lyrics enhance the empowering theme of the film, Battle of The Sexes. Last week, we learned that Michelle Pfeiffer sings Never Forget in the upcoming Murder On the Orient Express with music and lyrics by Patrick Doyle.
Fox Searchlight’s Patti Cake$ has Tuff Love as a contender. The film centers on an aspiring rapper who is fed up with her life in New Jersey and she dreams of following in the footsteps of her idol. Tuff Love is the signature tune which Patricia Dombrowski (Danielle Macdonald) performs at the end of the film.
Here goes with some wild predictions. What are we leaving out? Check out some of the contenders below and listen to the songs that are in the running for Best Original Song.
- This Is Me – Keala Settle – The Greatest Showman (Benj Pasek/Justin Paul)
- If I Dare – Sara Bareilles – Battle of the Sexes (Nicholas Britell/Sara Bareilles)
- Prayers for This World – Cher – Cries From Syria (Diane Warren)
- To Be Human – Sia – Wonder Woman (Sia)
- Days In The Sun – Emma Watson – Beauty and the Beast (Alan Menken/Tim Rice)
- Remember Me -Miguel featuring Natalia Lafourcade -Coco ( Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez)
- It Ain’t Fair – The Roots, Bilal – Detroit –
- Visions of Gideon – Sufjan Stevens -Call Me By Your Name (Sufjan Stevens)
- Stand Up For Something – Common & Andra Day (Diane Warren)
- The Greatest Show – The Greatest Showman (Benj Pasek/Justin Paul)
- Tuff Love – Danielle Macdonald – Patti Cake$ (Geremy Jasper)
- Jump – Cynthia Erivo – Step
- Never Forget – Michelle Pfeiffer – Murder on the Orient Express