FX’s critical favorite The Americans wins three major awards at the 2018 TCA Awards. The Good Place, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and Killing Eve all take home major awards as well.
Critics have always loved FX’s drama The Americans far more than the Television Academy. So, it’s no surprise that, given its final year, the Television Critics Association (TCA) handed the Russian spy series three major awards in its ceremony held tonight. The Americans won Program of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in Drama, and Individual Achievement in Drama for star Keri Russell.
What does this mean for the 2018 Emmy cycle?
Well, last year’s Program and Drama Series winner – Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale – went on to win the Drama Series Emmy. However, TCA has long recognized The Americans in year’s when it didn’t even register at the Television Academy. Given the ceremony’s prime awards season placement (Emmy voting starts August 13), this may not benefit the series itself – the combination of Game of Thrones and The Handmaid’s Tale is likely too much to overcome.
Instead, the real benefactor of tonight’s TCA Awards could be Keri Russell. Her win here goes a long way toward legitimizing her in the eyes of the Television Academy. She’s been nominated multiple times, but this is her first win. Even more significant, it’s a win against some incredibly substantial competition in Sandra Oh and Jodie Comer (Killing Eve), Darren Criss (The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story), and even her Americans costar Matthew Rhys.
It’s enough to make her a more viable candidate to upset reigning champ Elisabeth Moss than The Crown‘s Claire Foy. Am I ready to predict Keri Russell? Definitely not. Moss remains the safe bet. However, I would not be surprised if things don’t go according to script on September 17.
Other notable winners include Rachel Brosnahan for Individual Achievement in Comedy, Killing Eve for Outstanding New Program, and Versace for Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries, and Specials. Of these, Brosnahan and Versace seem near-certain to repeat at the Emmys.
The TCAs also proved that they continue to hold NBC’s The Good Place in high esteem. The series received the award for Outstanding Achievement in Comedy against a highly competitive field of Comedy Emmy nominees. Even more significant is the fact that The Good Place beat out critical darling Atlanta, which is heavily favored at the Emmys. Maybe its time the Television Academy paid attention to NBC comedies again.
Here are your 2018 TCA Award winners:
- Program of the Year – The Americans
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy – The Good Place
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama – The Americans
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries, and Specials – The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Outstanding New Program – Killing Eve
- Individual Achievement in Comedy – Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Individual Achievement in Drama – Keri Russell, The Americans
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information – Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown
- Outstanding Achievement in Sketch/Variety Shows – Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming – Queer Eye
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming – Sesame Street
- Heritage Award – Friends
- Career Achievement Award – Rita Moreno