The 2023 Clio Entertainment award winners, recognized for creative excellence in entertainment marketing, were revealed tonight during a live ceremony at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood. The competition, established in 1971, celebrates groundbreaking work created to promote titles across the entertainment spectrum.
“In a year that brought whiplash to the industry– with a summer where entertainment marketing captivated the popular culture and had ‘Barbenheimer’ audiences flocking to theaters, only to be mostly shut down by two strikes– creativity was the key to converting consumers into fans,” said Ashley Falls, Executive Director of Clio Entertainment. “It’s no surprise that the ‘Barbie’ Integrated Campaign by Warner Bros. Pictures took home top honors in the form of a Grand Clio Entertainment Award, but our jury of industry leaders sent a message to the industry that ingenuity is alive and well, and they awarded 34 additional Grand Clios– a record number for a single competition cycle– for work across film, television, home entertainment, gaming, and live entertainment.”
Below is a breakdown of the 2023 Grand Clio Entertainment Award winners by entry type.
- Theatrical | Film: Audio | Visual Campaign– “Barbie Theatrical Campaign” by Giaronomo Productions for Barbie
- Theatrical | Film: Audio | Visual Craft– “Welcome” by Giaronomo Productions for TÁR
- Theatrical | Film: Branded Content– “Scream VI x Comedy Central’s RENO 911!” by Paramount Brand Studios for Scream VI
- Theatrical | Film: Design– “Slumberland” by Imaginary Forces for Netflix
- Theatrical | Film: Experiential | Events | Activation– ”Smile Viral Stunt: Reaching Fans in Unexpected Ways” by Paramount Pictures for Smile
- Theatrical | Film: Fan Engagement– “M3GAN Digital Campaign” by Addison Interactive, Inc. & BOND for Universal Pictures
- Theatrical | Film: Integrated Campaign– “BARBIE – Integrated Campaign” by Warner Bros. Pictures for Barbie
- Theatrical | Film: Key Art– “TÁR – Teaser” by AV Print for Focus Features
- Theatrical | Film: Original Content– “Smile Viral Stunt: Reaching Fans in Unexpected Ways” by Paramount Pictures for Smile
- Theatrical | Film: Spot– “TV60 ‘Click Review’” by MOCEAN for Evil Dead Rise
- Theatrical | Film: Teaser– “Sheep” by AV Squad for Killers of the Flower Moon
- Theatrical | Film: Trailer– “Welcome” by Giaronomo Productions for TÁR
- Television | Series: Branded Content– “Live From The Upside Down” by Observatory for Stranger Things & Doritos
- Television | Series: Design– “Hello Tomorrow!” by Imaginary Forces for Apple TV+
- Television | Series: Digital | Mobile– “QUÉ MIRÁ BOBOT” by ISLA for Netflix
- Television | Series: Integrated Campaign– “Wednesday Hates Marketing” by Netflix for Wednesday
- Television | Series: Key Art– “BEEF” by Netflix for BEEF
- Television | Series: Merchandise | Premium– “Big Brother’s #MEMERABILIA” by Media.Monks for Big Brother
- Television | Series: Out of Home– “The Infected Billboard” by Dentsu Creative for The Last of Us
- Television | Series: Teaser– “The Light” by Trailer Park Group for All The Light We Cannot See
- Television | Series: Trailer– “Don’t Go” by Trailer Park Group for Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffery Dahmer Story
- Television | Series: Video Promo Craft– “Don’t Go” by Trailer Park Group for Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story
- Home Entertainment: Key Art Craft– “Reservoir Dogs” by Phantom City Creative, Inc. for Reservoir Dogs
- Home Entertainment: Social Media– “Amsterdam – Social Content Campaign” by Tiny Hero for Amsterdam
- Live Entertainment: Audio | Visual– “Endless Venice” by Rai Radiotelevisione Italiana
- Live Entertainment: Audio | Visual Craft– “Endless Venice” by Rai Radiotelevisione Italiana
- Live Entertainment: Design– “Eurovision 2023” by Starlight Creative / Design Bridge and Partners for Eurovision 2023
- Live Entertainment: Social Media– “HAMILTON x Rihanna” by Michael Cassel Group for Hamilton Australia
- Games: Audio | Visual– “South of Midnight – Teaser trailer” by Compulsion Games for South of Midnight
- Games: Branded Content– “Corrido of Duty” by Archer Troy for Call of Duty
- Games: Experiential | Event | Activation– “Loot for Good” by DAVID for Loot for Good
- Games: Integrated Campaign– ”Clash from the Past” by Wieden+Kennedy for Clash of Clans
- Games: Original Content– “Clash from the Past” by Wieden+Kennedy for Clash of Clans
- Games: Partnerships | Collaborations– “Adopt A Stray” by Current Global & FCB Chicago for Fresh Step
- Games: Public Relations– “V-Land” by Dentsu Creative for V-Land
Additionally, Netflix was revealed as the Network of the Year, Activision / Blizzard scored Game Publisher of the Year, Universal Pictures took home Studio of the Year and AV SQUAD accepted honors for Agency of the Year.
In a moving segment dedicated to highlighting the people and organizations in the industry that—through creativity and innovation—are driving meaningful social change in the entertainment business, MOCEAN’s Michael McIntyre and Apple TV+’s Jen Weg presented the 2023 Clio Entertainment Impact Award to Helen Ahn, Creative Director and Senior Editor at Wild Card Creative Group. Later, Bob Israel– the distinguished entertainment marketing leader, producer of theater and film, and avid philanthropist– was awarded the 2023 Clio Entertainment Lifetime Achievement Award for his countless contributions to the business.
A new Clio Entertainment specialty award for the 2024 competition cycle was also announced on stage. FCB Global’s Danilo Boer introduced the audience to the Michelob ULTRA Big Show Pitch Competition, which challenges the creative community to submit ideas for a new docuseries looking at the intersection of sports and entertainment, kicking off next year with a brief at Clios.com.
Official Sponsors of the 2023 Clio Entertainment awards include Snapchat, Frito Lay, Michelob Ultra, Definition 6, and MOCEAN. Supporting sponsors are Northern Lights Agency, Revolve Agency, REPEATER Music, Drissi Advertising, Tiny Hero, and Makiné Studios.
The full list of Grand, Gold, Silver and Bronze Clio Entertainment award recipients is available at www.clios.com/entertainment.
Clio is the premier international awards competition for the creative business. Founded in 1959 to celebrate creative excellence in advertising, Clio today honors the work and talent at the forefront of the industry in a variety of specialized fields, including: sports, fashion, music, entertainment, cannabis and health. As a leading authority on the diverse and ever-changing creative landscape, Clio celebrates creativity 365-days-a-year via its global ad database Ads of The World and its content platform Muse by Clio.
About Clio Entertainment
Clio Entertainment, formerly The Clio Key Art Awards, is the original and definitive awards program celebrating creativity in the entertainment business. It honors an evolving industry that regularly pushes boundaries, permeates pop culture and establishes a new precedent for entertainment marketing around the globe. Established in 1971 by The Hollywood Reporter, the awards program became a Clio property in 2015 and continually evolves alongside the industry to recognize excellence in marketing, communications and emerging media across film, TV, home entertainment, live entertainment and gaming.