The Television Academy announced two new categories for the Primetime Emmy ceremony in music and reality casting categories.
The Television Academy announced today the addition of two new categories for the Primetime Emmy ceremony. As if they needed more categories… Artists involved with Outstanding Music Supervision and Outstanding Casting in a Reality Series will receive Emmy consideration for the first time. The Television Academy also announced oher 2017 rules and procedure modifications.
Here is the official Television Academy press release detailing the changes.
TELEVISION ACADEMY ANNOUNCES NEW PRIMETIME EMMY® CATEGORIES: OUTSTANDING MUSIC SUPERVISION AND OUTSTANDING CASTING IN A REALITY SERIES
As Emmy season approaches, the Television Academy Board of Governors announced today new rules changes for this year’s Primetime Emmy Awards competition.
A new Emmy category, Outstanding Music Supervision, will acknowledge the creative contributions made by the music supervisor to the music of any television program. In addition, Outstanding Casting in a Reality Series has been added to recognize casting directors responsible for identifying and assembling ensemble casts for structured, unstructured or competition programs within the Reality genre.
“In our ever-changing world of television, it’s important to annually evaluate and refine the rules of Emmy competition,” said Hayma Washington, Television Academy Chairman and CEO. “We are keeping pace with industry innovators, and recognizing excellence within new and changing genres and platforms.”
In addition, other approved Primetime Emmy Awards rules and procedures modifications for 2017 include:
- Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series is now split into Cinematography for One–Hour Series and for Half-Hour Series.
- Converted, retitled and redefined former juried awards into new interactive media category awards:
- Outstanding Interactive Program (Existing category award)
- Outstanding Original Interactive Program (New category award)
- Outstanding Creative Achievement In Interactive Media Within A Scripted Program (New category award)
- Outstanding Creative Achievement In Interactive Media Within An Unscripted Program (New category award)
- Outstanding Innovation In Interactive Programming (New juried award)