Stranger Things lovingly recreates an era through memorable 80s tunes
There are many wonderful things to praise in Netflix’s newest obsessive series Stranger Things. The Spielbergian themes layered with vaguely Michael Mann-inspired cinematography. The pack of kids straight out of The Goonies. Winona Ryder. We here at AwardsDaily TV have made this homage to the Sci-Fi / horror cinema and literature of the 1980s our newest obsession. We’ll publish a review of the entire series in the coming week. We didn’t want to rush it. We wanted to take our time and luxuriate in the 80s goodness. But here’s a heads up: one of Stranger Things greatest assets is a robust and lovingly selected series of 80s tunes (even though many songs hail from the late 60s).
Some of these are more standard selections. Some are unsung gems. One thing is clear: someone at Netflix missed a big opportunity to dish out a sure fire oldies soundtrack a la Guardians of the Galaxy a few years back. Since we’re lacking a single consolidated soundtrack, there are a few ways to recreate the sound and fury of the series 80s tunes yourself. Update: according to the LAist, the Stranger Things soundtrack will see the light of day as an official compilation.
There is at least one Spotify listing assembled here if you don’t already own the songs yourself. But if you already have a robust collection of 80s tunes, then here’s the full soundtrack listing episode by episode.
Stranger Things Track Listing
- She Has Funny Cars – Jefferson Airplane
- White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane
- Africa – Toto
- Can’t Seem to Make You Mine – The Seeds
- Should I Stay or Should I Go – The Clash
- I Melt With You – Modern English
- Hazy Shade of Winter – The Bangles
- Tie a Yellow Ribbon – Dawn featuring Tony Orlando
- Peter Gabriel – Heroes
- Waiting for a Girl Like You – Foreigner
- Atmosphere – Joy Division
- Should I Stay Or Should I Go – The Clash
- Elegia – New Order
- Nocturnal Me – Echo & The Bunnymen
- Sunglasses at Night – Corey Hart
- The Bargain Store – Dolly Parton
- Fields of Coral – Vangelis
- When It’s Cold I’d Like to Die – Moby